Advanced search

Deciding to HE a statented child

(8 Posts)
TheHumancatapult Wed 05-Dec-12 13:25:59

I'm considering home education my son he is 7 year 3 has a statement and is in S&L unit which that side is ok in morning sort of but ms in afternoon is failing badly but he is struggling with exhaustion to due to medical conditions . I know that talk his speech so poor that we may loose place as he needs speaclial speech equipment rather than therapy . I know I can purchase equipment program for reasonable price ( I pad and program comes in about £800 in total

I know he still get Physio /Ot and hydro and orthotics as he has to come out school for them anyway so misses a lot of school. Would I get any salt On nhs or case of paying for it

I would plan to do more learning using computers as a sentence by hand takes 5 mins is on par with a nursery child by computer he is way more able

How or can I take a statemented child out

SDeuchars Wed 05-Dec-12 14:02:11

If it is a mainstream school, the statement does not affect your ability to deregister him - it is the same as for any child in a mainstream school. You can ask the doctor to refer you for SALT. It might be worth asking the unit if he can keep his place and see if the funding is from health or education.

Have you talked to the school about him being flexi-schooled, so he'd be with you in the afternoons? Do they have any other suggestions for meeting his needs?

TheHumancatapult Wed 05-Dec-12 17:59:39

Hi no its a ms school with a speech base . He is on speech unit in morning and ms in afternoon

TheHumancatapult Wed 05-Dec-12 18:00:11

Funding in unit I'd education

Mynewmoniker Wed 05-Dec-12 18:16:53

I'm not sure I understand the set up he's in but I would ask about flexi school and see if they can fit everything in in the morning. You might be suprised what they can accommodate if they are aware of your concerns.

FionaJNicholson Thu 06-Dec-12 16:12:30


It depends which LA you come under as to whether or not you would still have access to physio OT hydrotics etc if your child was not on a school roll. What matters is he type of funding agreement which health has with education. The same would apply for SALT. I echo what others are saying about investigating flexischooling as a way to maintain access to services and support, as well as its being less tiring for your son than full-time school.

Assuming you are in England, sorry, so please shout up if you aren't.

More info here

TheHumancatapult Fri 07-Dec-12 14:25:55

Flexi schooling won't work as the unit is a hour away

Physio /Ot/hydro eyc is under health not involved with LEA

His salt is lEA funded

FionaJNicholson Mon 10-Dec-12 17:10:10

if it's a unit in a mainstream school you can just ask for his name to be taken off the school roll.

If the child is a registered pupil at a mainstream school, the parent wishing to home educate should send a written request to the proprietor for the child's name to be taken off the school roll. The process is the same irrespective of whether the child has a statement of SEN or not. Paragraph 8.96 of the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice says 'Part 4 should state the type of school the LEA consider appropriate but go on to say that: "parents have made their own arrangements under section 7 of the Education Act 1996."' The Government has said that 'the authority must make sure that parents can make suitable arrangements. The term "suitable arrangements" does not mean having to specify exact arrangements in the child's statement'.

When parents want to remove a child from the school roll in order to home educate they need to go through the deregistration process. This involves writing to the headteacher or proprietor of the school. It is not necessary to seek permission or approval to home educate. The only exceptions to the simple notification process are where the child is a registered pupil at a special school or where the child is currently attending school subject to a School Attendance Order. Government Guidance on the Regulations says "Schools must neither wait until the local authority acknowledges the notice of the deletion nor seek its approval of the deletion." The grounds on which a child's name is to be removed from the school roll may be found in paragraph 8 of the Pupil Registration Regulations (England) 2006

More info here

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: