Talk

Advanced search

shall i or shall i not?

(5 Posts)
cupcake19992110436247 Tue 23-Oct-12 13:53:50

I dont know if this is a bit early to be thinking about this, but my ds who is due on the 1st November. Has Downs syndrome and i am thinking of home ed. He is my first child so its all new and I just think it might be easer for him. or will it make him feel left out. Or is it just way to early to be even thinking of it? Please help? Any advise needed please. xx

morethanpotatoprints Tue 23-Oct-12 21:09:36

Hello cupcake.

I think you will know when the time is right. But I don't think theres anything wrong with keeping up to date with the ed system and life outside the system. Maybe too soon for planning yet though. Good luck with the birth, its not as bad as some people say.smile

EauRouge Tue 23-Oct-12 21:35:09

Hi Cupcake,

My eldest DD has just turned 4 but I started thinking about home education quite early on. By all means do a little reading into it, see what facilities and groups there are nearby and see what your DS is like when he arrives. You don't have to make a decision now, you can just think about it and whatever decision you do make doesn't have to be permanent.

Enjoy the baby part while it lasts though, it goes quickly!

SDeuchars Wed 24-Oct-12 07:34:27

My DC are now 18 and 20. I knew I would HE a good long time (ten years blush) before their births. So I don't think it is too early at all!

My DD has Aspergers' traits and I was very glad to HE because it gave me a chance to deal with them as she grew up and now she does not function at all badly in normal society. I have always said that I would HE a child with any sort of disability. It gives the opportunity for the child not to grow up being "different" - they are in an environment where they are "normal" and where they can achieve, because you do things relevant to their aptitude and ability. IMHO, those two criteria are much more important than the third criterion in the Education Act (*age*). Schools concentrate on age, which means any child who develops differently and is unable to do the age-related thing is automatically at a disadvantage. And that is the case even if the school is very good - it is inherent in the system.

I'm not suggesting that you would hide from your DS that he has Down's syndrome (as I did not hide the idea of Asperger's from my DD), just that he can get the information he needs when it is right for him and in a sensitive fashion. There will be challenges caused by it but you (and he) will not have to struggle every day with outside pressures that are not appropriate for him.

Personally, I'd do it in a heartbeat. However, you also know that you can change your mind at any point - if you decide that school would be good for him, then the authorities have to find him a place, whatever his age.

greenbananas Wed 24-Oct-12 07:43:30

You don't have to make a decision now. Just keep yourself informed - and maybe meet up with home educating parents in your area.

I was determined that DS would be home-educated but he started pre-school last month. He really wanted to go to pre-school like his friends, this particular pre-school is an unusually lovely place and he is having some really good experiences there. He often says that he would prefer to be at home playing with me, but then he tells me all about the wonderful things he has done at pre-school. At the moment, I think the benefits of pre-school outweigh his reluctance to leave home in the mornings but, if he continues to want to be at home, I will very happily take him out and home-educate him instead.

No doubt when the time comes, you will do whatever is best for your DS - and that may not be what you had planned so don't worry about it too much yet.

Hope the birth goes well - not long now until you meet your DS smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now