Talk

Advanced search

formal HE- how do you work it?

(6 Posts)
BrittaPerry Thu 18-Oct-12 00:04:47

We are planning to be quite formal on four mornings a week. I have all the books and equipment, but how do you actually organise on a day to day basis?

I'm thinking a rough plan at the beginning of the week, so the DDs can see what is going to happen (dd1 likes to know, and dd2 is 2 so doesn't care atm) and they can have some input, such as saying what they want to learn more about.

Then do a kind of over arching plan for myself, just so I can tie things in nicely (eg an exhibition in a museum could prompt a couple of weeks of activites)

I'm also thinking of making sure there is some reading, writing, numeracy, science, life skills and social skills in every day. Most days that should be pretty simple (going to the local shops would cover all of them, for example) but I will try to bring them into our formal work too.

Obviously dd2 can't do sitting still for very long, but dd1 is five and loves to sit with a workbook (she is a geek child)

I'm thinking of giving each child a special folder for them to keep their best bits of work, and dd1 a page a day diary (a special glittery or moshi monsters one) where she writes a sentence or two each day about what she did.

Dd2 will be in nursery three days a week, so on those days me and dd1 can either stay in the house working on a project or whatever, or go out to HE social stuff or museums etc that a 2yo might get in the way of. I'm also thinking we could do some pen n paper work on public transport or in cafes and libraries.

Any ideas?

EauRouge Thu 18-Oct-12 08:15:43

We haven't started properly yet (DD1 just turned 4) but I was thinking of starting her up a blog so that she can write about what she's done, post photos she's taken etc. We have family overseas so they will be interested and it will be good for her to learn basic computing skills too.

throckenholt Thu 18-Oct-12 14:17:04

How old are they ? Can you sit down with them and work out a plan between you ? And then after a week review it together and see what worked and what didn't. Then review every month to see if it is still working.

<Not that we are anywhere near that organised !>

throckenholt Thu 18-Oct-12 14:18:29

oops - missed the bit where you have their ages blush.

Still might be worth a try. At those ages though I wouldn't try to be too formal - maybe aim at x amount of reading, some writing, etc and then take the rest more informally.

ToffeeWhirl Thu 18-Oct-12 18:40:26

I think at your DC's age I would keep any formal teaching very short. I still keep it short for DS1 who is 13, but struggles with concentration (usually half an hour maximum on each topic). We do a four-day week for the formal stuff, with Maths, English, handwriting and Science every morning. I started by planning in great detail and knowing exactly what we were going to do every day, but I'm less worried about that now and am also happier about following an unexpected avenue if DS suddenly shows an interest in something else, say in the news.

I also get DS1 to help me with at least one chore every day, as I think this is an important life skill.

I do find it helps me to have some evidence of DS1's work because it reassures me that I'm doing enough and I enjoy looking back over it. So it might help you to have your DCs' paintings/writing put into folders. If DS1 uses workbooks, I date the page, tear it out and add it to my work folder for that particular subject.

Your plans sound lovely. I'm sure the DC will love having special folders of their own. And at their age, you can do lots of crafty, arty stuff smile.

morethanpotatoprints Sat 20-Oct-12 21:40:51

Hi Briita.

Like an idiot I went out and bought pink and silver lever arch files for all academic subjects, dividers, labels, and goodness knows what. They are in a purpose build desk/shelving unit in her bedroom. We have hardly used them and don't think we will really. I planned lessons according to different areas of the curriculum and learned the topics and level indicators for each subject. What a whalley I was. blush
If you want to be formal the best thing to do imo is follow the curriculum loosly, most activity books do this and as Toffee suggests keep them in a file. Then you have a record of covered work and can also guage if more work is required on that topic. If you want info/ resources tes or the guardian online are good and of course free. I have used many sheets, activities and they also state the point they meet the curriculum if you want to be as sad as I was, I'm sure you don't. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now