Talk

Advanced search

2 workshops in Wales this week discussing Welsh Govnt plans for compulsory registration

(3 Posts)
FionaJNicholson Mon 15-Oct-12 10:01:15

edyourself.org/articles/conferences.php#wales2012

Home Education Workshop Llandudno, Tuesday October 16th 2012, 11am start
Home Education Workshop, Llandrinod Wells, Powys, October 17th, 10.30am start

edyourself.org/contact for further enquiries/to confirm attendance

FionaJNicholson Thu 18-Oct-12 16:14:45

I've just come back from 2 days of workshops with home educators in Wales, where
we discussed the Welsh Government's proposals for changing the law on home
education.

edyourself.org/articles/walesbriefing.php

I plan to put up notes on my website from the workshops this evening/first thing
tomorrow morning and will post links here.

Also, the first consultation event/facilitated workshop for children and young
people is taking place in Powys this morning. Yesterday I met some of the home
educators planning to attend.

edyourself.org/articles/wrexhamworkshop.php#childvoice

As soon as I get feedback from the Powys event, I'll put information up on my
site to assist home educators who may consider attending the consultation events
in Conwy and Cardiff.

All I've heard so far is that there were 35 people (adults and children) including local authority representatives.

Meanwhile, as people are asking for shorter and shorter pdfs here is a new 1
page pdf to print edyourself.org/summarywaleschange.pdf linked from this
page edyourself.org/articles/walesbriefing.php

FionaJNicholson Fri 19-Oct-12 07:29:14

Please share freely, thanks

edyourself.org/articles/wrexhamworkshop.php#childvoice

Welsh Government Children/Young People Workshops 18-30 October 2012

Minister Leighton Andrews has stated that "the consultation on registering and monitoring home-based education will run for a period of 12 weeks and responses are requested by 23 November 2012. The consultation document is being issued to local authorities, home educators, organisations representing home educating families and organisations with responsibility for children and young people. It is also open for public comment through the consultation pages of the Welsh Government's website. In addition, a small number of facilitated workshops will be held to seek the views of children and young people on the proposals."

*Thursday 18 October 2012 10:30 Royal Welsh Showground, Powys
Friday 26 October 2012 10:30 All Nations Centre, Cardiff
Tuesday 30 October 2012 10:30 Conwy Business Centre, Conwy*

These events are open to children, young people and adults. Each event will last approximately two hours. Light refreshments are provided.

If you are planning to attend one of the events please email the address given below so that the organisers have an idea of numbers for catering purposes. You need only give first names without any further identifying details. One home educating parent reported from the Powys event that "anonymity is not a problem" and "no one has to give their names or any details."

wellbeingshare@wales.gsi.gov.uk

35 people attended the Powys workshop on October 18th; 30 identified as parents/children, while 5 worked in local authorities, including several people who had responsibility for elective home education within their council.

The events are commissioned by the Welsh Assembly Government. Someone from WAG will respond to the email and will be able to answer queries about the workshop. Please note that WAG is not running the workshop on the day; this is being done by someone independent of WAG. In addition to the report of the event submitted to WAG by the workshop facilitators, there will also be a representative from WAG at the event who will be in a position to hear views first-hand.

Responses are made by pressing buttons on a box, writing feedback from workshop questions, and general discussion. There is also a video booth where children/young people can do a piece to camera with their views either individually or as a group, again with no need to give names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now