Talk

Advanced search

How could I approach a (possible) school with a request for flexi schooling?

(3 Posts)
doobiedoobiedoobie Tue 09-Oct-12 19:47:44

DD1 is due to start school next September and we're currently in the process of looking around schools in our area. For various reasons I'm not feeling overjoyed about her starting and have some concerns, but don't feel confident enough to full time home educate tbh. I have my worries that flexi time schooling may not be the best of both worlds and may well turnout to be the opposite, however ATM I think it's probably the best option for us. At least at first some can see how she settles.

Does anyone have any idea how I should go about approaching schools for their (almost certainly non existing) policies on flexi schooling? Could I just phone the school or am I better putting forward something like this face to face? In writing? And what do I say?! Thanks blush

FionaJNicholson Tue 09-Oct-12 20:03:12

they probably won't have a policy.

small schools with falling rolls could be quite keen once you explain it to them. you could point them to other schools because hollinsclough and erpingham would probably help with paperwork. try and visualise yourself how it could work, then think of how you could pitch it to the school.

depends on your personal preference but I'd ask for appointment and when you've got one sorted, then say you'd like to have exploratory talk about flexischooling options.

schools freak out if they think it will start a trend or if it means the child might stop attending altogether. also if it might go on for ever.

edyourself.org/articles/helaw.php#flexischool
edyourself.org/articles/flexischoolingconference.php

TwiggysGoneOnHolidayByMistake Thu 11-Oct-12 09:17:04

What I did was to write up a proposal (having done lots of research/thinking beforehand) then arranged a meeting with the Head to discuss it. I was given a yes on the spot smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now