Advanced search

formal learning centres?

(3 Posts)
Flojo1979 Wed 03-Oct-12 13:59:27

Hi, I wasn't sure where to put this but I thought you lovely home edders might have some knowledge on this.
I live in the north west and wondered whether any colleges or anything do formal learning for children?
My DS isn't HE but I think if I could set up an evening class or something for him, I'd feel much happier about the whole idea.
I'd like him to do something maths or English based.
Lower than GCSE, but a certificate or some sort of recognisable qualification. Failing the actual teaching, what exams can be done independently and how do u go about doing these?
My DS is lost in a big class at school, I'd much rather work at his pace.

julienoshoes Wed 03-Oct-12 16:50:08

There is a website for HE families interested in doing qualifications with an associated email yahoo support list where lots of people with experience in all aspects of taking qualifications when HE hang out. You are sure to get detailed support there.

Some people do distance learning courses, there is one I know of run by a home educating parent who also is an OU teacher, that might be suitable for your son Catherine Mooney does IGCE English course, but also does a Word Weavers one Oxford Learning is another provider, there are others too.
Other youngsters have done OU starter courses, although that is a more expensive option these days.
Others wait and do GCSEs at FE college.
Some people download the curriculum and work through it and find an exam centre. Fiona Nicholson gives the lowdown on the latest news about this on her website

I'd suggest joining the email support group though and see what folks there have to tell you.

Flojo1979 Wed 03-Oct-12 20:29:55

Thank-you, that is really helpful and given me lots of ideas.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: