Talk

Advanced search

Are more families home eding?

(9 Posts)
Colleger Sat 29-Sep-12 22:31:17

Just wondered if there are any stats to show that HE is becoming more popular or staying the same?

morethanpotatoprints Sat 29-Sep-12 22:51:01

Hello Colleger.
Hope you are well, haven't heard from you in a while.
I too wondered this, I don't know if any stats could be reliable but might give a slight difference. I'm not too good with this stuff, but as usual you have got me thinking. I guess we could check out ons, or hope julienoshoes or Fiona have any info.

FionaJNicholson Sat 29-Sep-12 23:08:24

In relation to England, this is the time of year when we'd expect an influx of new home educators, based on previous years' info. The numbers go down throughout the year and then normally quite a high proportion are also taken off the books in June at the end of the academic year, which is when numbers will be lowest.

I'm not sure whether LAs will automatically take 16 year olds off in future as the participation age is raised, so there may appear to be an increase when/if numbers are collected next year if that makes sense.

Wales in January 2012 had 10% more than in January 2011, but total number is still under a thousand.

Colleger Sat 29-Sep-12 23:08:25

I've been looking after an eleven week old baby and having a stressful time with school matters. HE boy is fine. He decided to start playing the bassoon again and occasionally picks up a maths book but at the moment he just reads all day long.

Colleger Sat 29-Sep-12 23:15:34

Thanks Fiona! smile

morethanpotatoprints Sat 29-Sep-12 23:23:24

Thanks Fiona,

I thought you would probably know.

Sorry to be a bit dim but why are most taken off the books in June. Also is it highest atm due to people waiting on school lists or temporary H.ed due to other school admin issues. It would be good to find out if any recent gov initiatives had a bearing on people deciding to H.ed, but I doubt anything could be proved. I am so pleased we decided to after all the recent gov announcements on education, but this is not the reason we left school. So I guess my case wouldn't be conclusive evidence. Oh I wish I had the time for some Post Grad research, but enough is enough, lol.
I would be interested in reading any articles you could recommend.

Colleger, glad to hear your ds is well and playing bassoon again. Has he had his audition for the orchestra yet? Or was he in anyway? I know you'd respect his wishes whatever he had decided but I am so pleased as it would have been a waste of his talent.

FionaJNicholson Sun 30-Sep-12 13:19:54

There tend to be more home educated children who are older, and as these 16 year olds reach the end of compulsory education in June at the end of the school year in which they reached 16, they stop being recorded by the LA as being home educated.

That's why I'm saying it will be interesting to see whether LAs assume that children carry on in home ed beyond the age of 16, once young people are supposed to carry on in education doing SOMETHING. Cos otherwise LAs do tend to assume that a child carries on being home educated till they get in touch with the parent (eg the infamous annual enquiry) and discover otherwise.

As to why it's highest in the Autumn term, we don't know. In some cases I guess it's down to not getting place at desired school. In other case it's something that kicks off at the school after the long summer break.

julienoshoes Sun 30-Sep-12 14:40:07

"julienoshoes or Fiona have any info."

blush many things I do know about in HE, but figures? Nope not me....if I'd have got here first, I'd have gone and asked Fiona anyway....she's the details queen....
wink

SDeuchars Sun 30-Sep-12 17:06:38

IME, children in Y1 and Y7 are most commonly deregistered between Sept and Jan - usually because there have been problems settling into school (or a new school). With Y7, there have often been problems that could be contained in primary but which are exacerbated by the changes in secondary.

Other than that, HE orgs see an increase in enquiries in June/July as people decide that they'll not send their children back for the following year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now