Talk

Advanced search

A-Levels

(4 Posts)
Sbreen Mon 24-Sep-12 11:20:32

Hello,

after spending aaaaages researching on the internet, I don't know who else I could ask.

We had to move to Germany just after our son finished his GCSE's in Northern Ireland. Just after the move our son became very ill and he was not able to attend a school. Yet, he is desperate to finish his education - his A-Levels, but since he is still not able to leave the house we are looking into distance learning or home education. Now, there are loads of online schools offering A-Level courses but it is so hard to find out which of them is a good one. And it is very hard to find any reputable reviews.

Could any of you offer any guidelines as to what I should look out for or even recommend a school? Or do you have kids that do their A Levels from home?

Thank You

AMumInScotland Mon 24-Sep-12 11:35:26

DS went back to school at that age, but he had done his GCSEs through Interhigh www.interhigh.co.uk/ and they now also do A levels. I don't have direct experience of the A-level side but we were very happy with them at GCSE level.

To an extent what will suit your son depends a bit on how he likes to learn - some people are happy working through textbooks etc on their own, or with just an occasional bit of input from a tutor. But others find things make much more sense when they can talk it over with a teacher or classmates.

You maybe also need to think about how many subjects he should take at one time if he's still not back to full strength, so I'd suggest asking any school or distance learning organisation how many hours a week they expect/recommend per subject and think about how many hours he can spend that focussed.

julienoshoes Mon 24-Sep-12 13:05:41

You could join the HE Exams yahoo email support group

Someone there is bound to have the experience and info you are after I'd think.

SDeuchars Mon 24-Sep-12 16:44:37

How old is he? Have you considered Open University? Student loans are available for part-time study through the OU and your son may find that easier - many Stage 1 courses do not have exams so he could study completely from home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now