Talk

Advanced search

I'm one of those freaky home edders who shelters their child from normality.

(48 Posts)
IslaValargeone Sun 23-Sep-12 11:04:40

At least that is what dc's singing teacher appears to believe?
Dc has recently started singing lessons, has only has 3 so far. This week she came out of her lesson with a cd of stuff to listen to and sing along with. Her teacher told me that they would be singing a wide variety of music during lessons and how dc had expressed an interest in jazz and opera too.
She had decided however that as dc was home edded she would give her some Kylie, Pink and other pop stars so that she was aware of what normal 10 year old girls listen to.
I was quick to point out that we listen to a wide variety of music at home and that on that very morning dc had told me off for playing Kasabian and Sisters of Mercy too loud!

Mutt Sun 23-Sep-12 11:07:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NellyJob Sun 23-Sep-12 11:10:25

I am quite quite sure that 10 year old girls are not listening to Kylie and Pink.

IslaValargeone Sun 23-Sep-12 11:12:28

She likes Kasabian and Sisters of Mercy, just not too loud hmm

IslaValargeone Sun 23-Sep-12 11:14:50

It was the Opera and jazz thing that aroused suspicion in case that bit bypassed you.

IWipeArses Sun 23-Sep-12 11:14:58

Singing teachers sheltered from reality perhaps.

Mutt Sun 23-Sep-12 11:16:46

NellyJob Sun 23-Sep-12 11:17:41

OK I have consulted the pre-teen oracle and he says Nicki Minaj, Jessie J, Katy Perry, and yes....Pink

Mutt Sun 23-Sep-12 11:17:46

Mutt Sun 23-Sep-12 11:18:23

ZZZenAgain Sun 23-Sep-12 11:19:02

Hmm I would look for a different singing teacher. If your dc atm like jazz and opera, it is a bit daft IMO to give them a CD of pop music to listen to. They'll find pop music for themselves when they are ready for it, it is everywhere.

Dd is 12 and doesn't know Kylie, Pink or any pop stars really. She goes to school and I consider us relatively normal. Her singing teacher gives her a choice of music and by doing so she is necessarily exposing her to types of music dd doesn't already know or might not have considered. Her teacher might show her 6 pieces presumably at the right level , or sing them for her and then she lets dd choose.

IslaValargeone Sun 23-Sep-12 11:19:54

What makes you think she wasn't already aware of /listening to Kylie, Jessie J/Pink or any other number of pop singers?

IslaValargeone Sun 23-Sep-12 11:20:33

I think you are very rude mutt.

ZZZenAgain Sun 23-Sep-12 11:20:35

do you mean me? My dd?

IslaValargeone Sun 23-Sep-12 11:21:25

I'm well aware she likes jazz and opera, I don't need telling.

Mutt Sun 23-Sep-12 11:21:34

IslaValargeone Sun 23-Sep-12 11:23:34

No ZZen, Mutt was suggesting the teacher gave us the chance to listen to Kylie because she may not have come across because she is home edded?

Chandon Sun 23-Sep-12 11:23:52

agree with Mutt

ZZZenAgain Sun 23-Sep-12 11:24:39

I'd take it up with the teacher and I'd also look around for someone else

IslaValargeone Sun 23-Sep-12 11:26:05

Yes ZZen, was considering it, but I'll see how it goes for a bit I think.
If I get any more odd vibes I think we will give it a miss.

ZZZenAgain Sun 23-Sep-12 11:28:24

did she say to your dd: "this is what normal 10 year olds listen to"?

SecretNutellaFix Sun 23-Sep-12 11:29:10

When I was ten, I actively refused to listen to the pop shite that was out.

I was certainly not home educated, sadly.

IslaValargeone Sun 23-Sep-12 11:33:14

I don't know?
I believe it started because they were singing along to Get this party started and my dc commented on the line 'kissing my ass' being quite rude.
I think this must have led teacher to presume I am a home edding Mary Whitehouse?

ZZZenAgain Sun 23-Sep-12 11:35:33

I think singing is so personal, totally different to playing an instrument. I really couldn't imagine opening up wide and belting out a song I didn't like. I would clam up but then I cannot sing anyway. Of course dc are not so reserved usually.

I had my dd at a very good choir when she was small. They sung lovely music but she didn't enjoy doing it. It was a lot of Bach chorales and so on. She plays classical music all the time but she didn't want to sing that kind of song. After she'd had a break from choir for a couple of years, she started singing lessons and I told the teacher I don't mind where she goes with it, she should just find her voice and be confident to sing what she wants to sing and this teacher exposes her to different styles but dd knows what she wants. If she wanted to sing Pink, that would also be fine with me but she has no interest as yet in that kind of music. It might come, might never come but it is the attitude of the teacher that your dc need to brought in line with the mainstream which is a bit patronising for my taste. I don't like that.

ZZZenAgain Sun 23-Sep-12 11:37:20

is it a necessary part of the education of a 10 year to sing about "kissing my ass"? I don't see it personally

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now