Talk

Advanced search

Starting a home ed group for special needs

(4 Posts)
MiloandAmeliasMummy Wed 05-Sep-12 18:24:16

Hi

We're a couple of home educating parents with a 4 year old son who has autism. We desperately tried to find a local home education group that catered to children with special needs and disabilities and despite our best efforts and many phone calls, we could not find one.

That is why we decided to start our own.

The group will run every Thursday between 10-12. If you have a child with special needs and home educate, or you are just looking for a different kind of home ed group (we will be welcoming children without special needs too) and you live in south east Hampshire, then please get in touch as we'd love to meet you.

We aim to have outreach workers coming in, acitivities to help children with special needs, eg social stories, sharing games, art, etc... a support group type meeting one session every month and little parties for each child's Birthday in session as children with ASD etc, tend not to get invited to parties due to their behaviour and we do not want them to miss out on this.

If you are interested then just message me or post here.

Thanks smile

Iris1 Thu 06-Sep-12 09:50:29

I wish I lived near you what a wonderful thing to do!! my son is also 4 with Autism and reading this i think its great and hope you get some interest as I would jump at the chance to do this with my children .

RIFFI Sat 22-Sep-12 00:27:55

This sounds a great idea. It's a shame there isn't a nationally organised group that helps co-ordinate home education.

julienoshoes Sat 22-Sep-12 13:44:48

RIFFI, what would that group look like to you?

It's been my long experience that home educators are a very diverse group of people, and the only thing we have in common is that our children don't go to school.
wink
I really don't think there could be one group that could co-ordinate us all!
I am in agreement when my wise very experienced HE friend who said "trying to get home educators to agree on anything, is like herding cats!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now