Talk

Advanced search

How to find HE groups in my area

(5 Posts)
stargazer83 Sat 15-Oct-11 22:03:51

First off let me apologise I'm having to use my phone which has its challenges.

I have a 6 year old daughter currently in year 2. I've had serious misgivings about her school almost from the very beginning but due to HE being completely out of my experience range I have put off doing anything about it. However things at the school have become critical and I feel I need to remove her before the damage is set.

Any advice you have would be extremely welcome as I am very nervous about HE'ing. I am in the Lewisham area

Jamillalliamilli Sun 16-Oct-11 12:52:31

Join education otherwise and get your local rep's number and contact details from family's happy to register theirs. It's a good investment and you're likely to find the stuff they send you helpful and reassuring if you're trying to adjust from 'we must go to school' mode to 'there are other ways'. I found them invaluable. :-)

People will be along with better advice than I can give, but lot's of us were not just nervous, but terrified when we started, it is quickly replaced by the realisation that there's more than one way to do things and live life, and the ending of the pressure of those things that 'have become critical' in itself makes you realise that pursuing the same path as everyone else doggedly because of fear of failure or the unknown, is often not worth the damage that's taking place. :-)

Jamillalliamilli Sun 16-Oct-11 13:18:28

Have bumped a couple of threads that some experienced H/edders have consolidated, for you that hopefully will be helpfull.

stargazer83 Sun 16-Oct-11 22:50:31

Thank you so much. I will be joining education otherwise. Your right £17 isn't much to pay for peace of mind, help and support

lilyfire Sun 16-Oct-11 23:21:48

There are lots of home educators in the Lewisham area. There is a good google list with details of activities/groups etc - SLHE@googlegroups.com. There are some nice sounding groups in SE London. It really helps to go and meet people who are home educating and I certainly found it all sounded much more possible after talking to people who'd been doing it for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now