Advanced search

Someone else educating your children..

(7 Posts)
JamilaScrilla Thu 13-Oct-11 20:39:19

Would anyone consider paying someone else to educate your child in their home either with their own children or other children. If so, what would you expect of the person qualification wise and housing wise etc?

bebanjo Thu 13-Oct-11 20:57:38

isn't that called a private tutor?

LauraIngallsWilder Thu 13-Oct-11 21:46:13

Or a governess

Jamila - I dont know any HErs who earn enough to pay for such a service. Even if any of us did have enough money I dont know anyone who would want a private tutor for their kids.

HE is mostly lots of fun for the children and their parents - A tutor would take that fun away smile

streakybacon Fri 14-Oct-11 08:01:45

I've found it harder to HE myself as ds has got older - I can't keep up with the academic demands and am happy to admit that I'm out of my depth at times. It's hard to be proficient in every subject your child is studying (especially when you get to I/GCSE level), and that's why I use tutors now.

Ds had an amazing English tutor from Feb to August (she was at Uni so moved on after graduating) who taught him skills I just didn't have. She's used to academic life and has a far better understanding of how to answer questions in the way examiners expect than I have. We've got a replacement starting this afternoon, and I've just engaged a lovely young man for Sciences. It's not that I couldn't grasp those subjects if I really tried, more that it's difficult to do everything at once, iykwim, and the knowledge of how to phrase the work to the right level.

We also have a tutor for French which we share with a friend of ds's, but other than that they come to our home and teach 1-1,which isn't really what OP was asking.

I agree it's fun to HE and if we were to delegate the whole package over to someone else we'd miss out on that, but on the other hand I can see the benefit that ds is getting from being taught by other people than me so overall I think a good balance between the two is what matters, certainly in our case.

Tarenath Fri 14-Oct-11 08:28:39

I can see the benefit to a family who wanted to HE but needed/wanted to work, though I'm not sure how this would work out cost wise because the cost of employing a tutor/governess long term would usually cancel out a large portion of income unless the parents were in reasonably high paying jobs.

doigthebountyeater Fri 14-Oct-11 15:41:02

I hope to employ someone two days a week if I get a job I am going for!

tigercametotea Sun 16-Oct-11 16:35:24

I would consider it if its something I feel I am not good enough to teach. Do you mean academic subjects? I am thinking of things like learning an instrument which is quite important imo to hire one who knows what he/she is doing as the child can pick up bad habits which if left uncorrected can be very difficult to unlearn in future. but yes if the time comes and I find I need a tutor, I would hire one. If its academics i'd expect the tutor to have at least a qualification higher than what my kids are studying for. So I wouldn't expect an o level grad to be teaching o level stuff. I would not be leaving the kids to it just because I have gotten them tutors though. I would be checking, getting feedback,etc. and making sure the tutor is doing the job well. Qualifications do not mean they can teach well. I had many tutors when I was younger and had very demanding parents... But I know some of them are not so good, some are, despite all of them having degrees or a levels. You want to get your money's worth. By all means ask around for recommendations and try them out to see if they are any good for your children but do not feel like you have to stick to any one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now