Talk

Advanced search

Starting to HE at secondary age - do I need to de-register?

(7 Posts)
sleepingsowell Mon 26-Sep-11 12:44:05

Hi there, after a looooooooooong period of thought and research (I am certainly a planner!) I now think DH and I will be in a position to HE our DS at the point that he would join secondary. He is now in year 5 at his local juniors, and he goes to year 6 in Sept 2012, thus finishing junior school in 2013.

If we simply don't want a place at secondary, do we have to write to the LA to de-register him, or do we just not apply for a place and leave it at that?

Any experiences from anyone who has done this (children 'done' primary ed but not going to secondary) would be really appreciated too.
Thanks in advance

Lougle Mon 26-Sep-11 13:02:03

I think you do need to de-register him, yes

sleepingsowell Mon 26-Sep-11 14:06:37

thanks Lougle. Seems a bit odd, de-registering him from nowhere, if you know what I mean grin

Marjoriew Mon 26-Sep-11 14:46:47

I had a form sent to me by the LEA when my grandson came of secondary school age. As he'd been home educated since he was six, and he was 11 this year, I just returned the form stating that he would be home educated throughout his secondary years and therefore we would not require a secondary school place for him.

sleepingsowell Mon 26-Sep-11 14:49:27

Thanks Marjoriew. Can I ask, what sort of 'shape' do your plans take for his education from now on? I'd be really interested to hear what people are doing. Thanks x

Marjoriew Mon 26-Sep-11 14:55:16

Well, the shape has changed over time, sleepingsowell. It changes as they get older and as their needs change. we are semi-structured in as much as we do maths and literacy on a daily basis, but apart from that, we work mainly on project based stuff. Grandson has a range of interests and hobbies and we follow those. For example, he has suddenly taken to reading about famous people who have changed the world- Anne Frank, Florence Nightingale, Thomas Edison, Ghandi.
I've just this week bought a KS3 maths course from Little Arthur's so he can work his way through it. He's not what you might call 'academic' and that's why we both decided that as he approached secondary school age, he wanted to continue to HE. (and I was very pleased as well )smile

Marjoriew Mon 26-Sep-11 14:56:38

You'll see by the replies on the thread that everyone does things differently and you will get loads of encouragement and support here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now