Talk

Advanced search

Cheap knitting/sewing stuff

(15 Posts)
doigthebountyeater Sun 25-Sep-11 16:58:08

Where is the best (ie cheapest) place to get these things? DS (6) has expressed an interest in learning to knit and sew, so I've said I'll get him some kit. He is not very dextrous so I wanted to get some of that very open fabric they teach you to sew with in school (well at least they did circa 1976!). Does anyone know what it is called? Any tips welcome (I HATE knitting and sewing and really am very bad at both, so it will be interesting to see how we get along) Cheers!

Marjoriew Sun 25-Sep-11 17:23:49

the material is called Binca and it comes in all colours. You can also get plastic canvas which is easier for children to learn on first and you use wool for the work with a large plastic darning-type needle. Any needlework shop will keep this stuff in.
Also if you go on line, and google 'simple free cross stitch charts' you can print them off. When I taught my grandson, we got a highlighter and marked off each line we had done to keep our place on the work.
Ladybird do a little hardbook on Knitting. It's well laid out and easy to follow.

Marjoriew Sun 25-Sep-11 17:24:23

If there is a Poundland near you, they do easy cross stitch kits.

bebanjo Sun 25-Sep-11 19:57:34

Wilco have sets including plastic needles and pre punched felt to make glove puppets, I get the hand bag ones for DD, you get 2 kits in a pack for £1. Look up finger knitting on you tube, yarn from wilco £1.
Good luck

doigthebountyeater Sun 25-Sep-11 21:45:48

Excellent. Thanks, I'll give it all a go.

catnipkitty Mon 26-Sep-11 10:34:32

Charity shops good for wool - my local hospice shop always has loads.
x

sevensevenseven Mon 03-Oct-11 10:22:52

If he wants to try proper knitting I'd suggest looking in charity shops for knitting needles, you can often buy a pair for about 50p. Also I'd recommend joining your local freecycle group and asking on there.

KatharineClifton Tue 04-Oct-11 14:36:40

Wilco also do cheapish wool.

Anyone know if it's easier for kids to learn on thick or thin needles? I was just taught by my dad on normal thin ones, but my kids don't have the best of fine motor skills.

Marjoriew Tue 04-Oct-11 15:22:03

Thicker needles are better for littlies. And they can see the knitting growing quicker too.

KatharineClifton Tue 04-Oct-11 15:24:57

Thank you smile

nickelbabe Tue 04-Oct-11 15:29:48

yes, charity shops are very good for knitting wool and needles.

with the Binca (the ones with the smaler holes are Aida), you should be able to use knitting wool, too.
Try to find a local craft/knitting shop if you can for the Binca- they'll do tapestry needles too. (you're most likely to start him with a Bodkin)

If you can get a kit, you often get a needle with it - i once was given a plastic box with a lid I had to embroider, and it came with a huge plastic needle.

nickelbabe Tue 04-Oct-11 15:31:13

this is also the kind of thing you could try to tap up grandma for....

nickelbabe Tue 04-Oct-11 15:34:29

galt first sewing kit
first knitting
first knitting again

KatharineClifton Tue 04-Oct-11 15:37:22

It's a shame those kits are all aimed at girls. Ridiculous.

My dad learnt to knit in the Royal Navy, I think all sailors were taught there. Whole new marketing concept for Galt smile

nickelbabe Tue 04-Oct-11 16:44:42

oh, i know, it drives me mad!

At least the're more purple than pink, so you can sort of get away with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now