Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone use Math-U-See?

(5 Posts)
potbellyqueen Mon 19-Sep-11 13:02:43

I'm having a slight panic wobble about teaching maths to the DCs (aged 5 & 4). We haven't done much formal learning/teaching so far, they've picked up reading and writing easily enough but I'm just not sure how to go about teaching them maths, they can count and do sums on their fingers but I don't really know what to do next. I wondered if anyone has used Math-U-See and whether you think it's any good? What do you do for maths?

mychildrenarebarmy Mon 19-Sep-11 17:19:17

I use it for my DD 8 years and DS 4 years. I really like it and DD loves the way it works. DS has only just started using it. DD has gone from being really unsure with maths and not being keen to loving it. It was recommended to me by another family (one DD uses it the other DD hates it) and since then I have spoken to 2 other families nearby who use it and rate it very highly. Have a look on the site and there are test papers you can print off to use for figuring out what level to start with. The lady that sells it in the UK is very helpful if you have any questions. If you are on facebook there is a fan page and if you have questions then these tend to be answered very quickly. One thing to be aware of is that p+p is quite expensive so best to order a 2/3 levels at a time. I get DD/DS to answer the questions into exercise books for so we only need to buy one copy of the student books. I haven't bought the manipulatives as we already have cuisenaire rods and unifix cubes so use those instead.
HTH

wordsmithsforever Mon 19-Sep-11 17:21:00

I've used it - both my DC (7 and 10) loved the idea of watching TV to learn Maths. The explanations are very clear and I like the fact that it is so visual (the blocks). I think the way MUS conveys the concepts of place value is excellent. I haven't bought the later modules and so have been teaching my older DD just from a textbook lately so I can only comment on the early modules (well with an eye on the textbooks really - been trying to get a bit more autonomous, thanks to influences on here).

What else - the way MUS teaches telling the time is great - really practical and hands on. I think the blocks make the concepts very clear and the DC enjoyed playing with them - building "forts" to make up the number 10, etc.

I think the course was a bit light on practical stuff like measuring and weighing (at least what I've seen of it so far) but then being American, it's probably different anyway (quarts and stuff?) We use the metric system.

I know lots of home educators who swear by MUS. Others say it's a bit light and you need to supplement. Most of the children I've met seem to like it.

There was a great link recently on the MN Primary section about fun stuff to do with DC for Maths - some really excellent ideas here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/1301347-Maths-toys-games-whats-been-money-well-spent-waste-of-time

I think with young children and Maths the best advice is to make it real/concrete - use money, weigh food, use counters (dried beans or whatever). I think the Montessori philosophy that they need to be familiar with actual concrete stuff representing numbers before they move on to numbers in the abstract is quite sound.

potbellyqueen Tue 20-Sep-11 08:27:02

Thanks, I shall order a set and see how we get on, some good ideas on that linked thread too.

itsstillgood Tue 20-Sep-11 17:55:12

I'll go against the grain.
We HATED it!
Mine aren't into the hands on stuff so much. I found that it needed a lot of adult prep and the dvd was dull.
I use Heinemann workbooks supplemented with Schofield and Sims for my 5yo (I find because of the efficiency of HE if we only do one course we go too fast). When DS1 was that age (he's 9 now) he did Singapore My Pals are Here, which was fine this time round I just opted for something easier to get hold of.
Plus obviously we play games, sing rhymes, count houses, bake, shop...every day hands on maths.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now