Talk

Advanced search

Some help please

(16 Posts)
imnobody Tue 13-Sep-11 14:07:38

See this link
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/1299527-ok-so-we-have-fucked-up-what-now

I am now looking to home ed my son, he has learnt in Greek all of his life and while he has a basic understanding of English it is not as high as it should be.
Is there some way I can test him to see what level his English so I know where to start.

As the poor boy has obviously taken after my thick self I need help on where to start, I am now going to teach him in English and try for online exams, is this possible. I have no idea but obviously I can't leave it as it is.

Any advice would be much grateful.

Thanks

SDeuchars Tue 13-Sep-11 16:50:10

Is home education legal in Greece?

You say: he is now out of school until February, where he will resit the exams if he passes then he will start in the higher secondry school next September.

Does he have to take the exam in February? If he does not, do you plan to do UK exams instead? What happens if he does not pass in February? How does he feel about all this?

If he wants to take UK school exams, international GCSEs (IGCSEs) are available (see www.home-education-exams.org.uk).

Modern Greek is available, so you might want to download past papers from the exam boards and see how he would do in that.

The British Council ion Greece runs Cambridge ESOL exams. You can find preparation material online.

You can also buy Key Stage 3 and 4 materials (including workbooks and sample papers) from online booksellers to see how his English compares with his age peers.

imnobody Tue 13-Sep-11 17:42:41

The legality surely has been taken out of it now he no longer goes to school.

I am not sure what exams to do with him. I am now completely confused in how to continue. confused

Betelguese Tue 13-Sep-11 17:51:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Betelguese Tue 13-Sep-11 18:02:16

SDeuchars Tue 13-Sep-11 22:44:31

imnobody: The legality surely has been taken out of it now he no longer goes to school.

Not necessarily, but Betelguese seems to have found that education is only compulsory until 15 in Greece.

imnobody: I am not sure what exams to do with him. I am now completely confused in how to continue.

Sorry to have confused you. What does DS want to do now he is not in school? Will you be moving back to UK any time soon or is he going to be making his own way in Greece?

If you are most interested in his level of English at this point, you could start by looking at the Cambridge ESOL information.

Betelguese Tue 13-Sep-11 23:32:10

Betelguese Tue 13-Sep-11 23:45:06

Betelguese Wed 14-Sep-11 00:03:36

LastSummer Wed 14-Sep-11 01:16:41

Imnobody,

As Betel suggests, your priority should perhaps be to find a tutor who'll help your son resit his exams in February. You can help the boy improve his knowledge of chemistry and physics by visiting with him these two BBC sites:

www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks3bitesize/science/

www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/

This will also improve his English.

Betelguese Wed 14-Sep-11 12:01:05

Betelguese Wed 14-Sep-11 17:11:18

imnobody Wed 14-Sep-11 20:30:22

Thank you Betel, you have given me lots of reading and food for thought...

The initial WTF has worn off and I have calmed down a bit. I just find it such a shame it has come to this but should have expected it really, I have been having problems between the school and DS since the beginning more or less.

I really should have looked into home ed before but was put off by the illegal part of it, and the factor that I didn't do well in school so what help can I be to him..

Since seeing what we have succeeded probably a lot more.

Thank you again Betel, may I ask, are you a teacher? You are very knowledgeable in this subject and also education in other counties, impressive.

imnobody Wed 14-Sep-11 20:42:09

Thank you Betel, you have given me lots of reading and food for thought...

The initial WTF has worn off and I have calmed down a bit. I just find it such a shame it has come to this but should have expected it really, I have been having problems between the school and DS since the beginning more or less.

I really should have looked into home ed before but was put off by the illegal part of it, and the factor that I didn't do well in school so what help can I be to him..

Since seeing what we have succeeded probably a lot more.

Thank you again Betel, may I ask, are you a teacher? You are very knowledgeable in this subject and also education in other counties, impressive.

Betelguese Wed 14-Sep-11 23:03:25

Betelguese Sun 18-Sep-11 14:11:28

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now