Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a timetable for key stage 1 they are happy to share?

(6 Posts)
onthemoveyetagain Fri 09-Sep-11 21:57:41

Hi all,

Does anyone have a weekly timetable they would be happy to share? My children are 4 and 6.

I am just starting to home-educate and am trying to think of all the subjects I need to cover each week. I wondered if anyone could help me before I go and re-invent the wheel!! Thank you!

Sonriente Sun 11-Sep-11 20:30:34

I signed up to the Hamilton trust which has lesson plans and resources. It's about £25 for a year.

Teachermumof3 Sun 11-Sep-11 20:50:18

Yes, I don't mind. What's your email address and I'll send one?

onthemoveyetagain Sun 11-Sep-11 22:44:38

Thank you for your posts! My email address is yvonnyb@hotmail.com. I have drafted up one tonight which looks ok but would really appreciate a look at someone else's who is more experienced here!!

SDeuchars Mon 12-Sep-11 08:00:39

You may want to report your last post and have it removed by MNHQ because you have included your email address. It is safer to click "Message poster" and send a PM to someone with your address, rather than making it public.

You probably know this, but there are no specific subjects you need to cover each week. With 4 and 6 year olds, I'd recommend following your children's interests and going for depth rather than breadth. One of the advantages of home-educating is that you do not need to follow the National (or any other) curriculum so you can do things as they come up or that are specific to your family.

For example, if you have family elsewhere in the world, it might be important to you to learn the language of that country.

When my DC were that age, it was important to us to do craft and cookery so that the DC knew internally from a very young age that making things has intrinsic value. Craft and cookery involve a lot of practical mathematics. We also did a lot of reading but almost nothing that would look like schoolwork.

Many long-term home-educators can assure you that this is not a risk - with only two children, you have plenty of time to cover the formal requirements for exams (for example) without having to go through the repetition that schools need because they are working with 30 at a time.

FWIW, both my DC started Open University at 13-14 and DD is about to start her second year of a law degree.

Betelguese Mon 12-Sep-11 12:18:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now