Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a curriculum/plan for 6 year olds to follow?

(3 Posts)
onthemoveyetagain Fri 09-Sep-11 21:54:28

Hi all,

Wondered if anyone can help me? I am home-educating a four year old and six year old. My six year old is very academically able, writing long stories, reading mystery books and working easily with 3 digit figures (including long addition and subtraction).

I am finding that I am just 'winging it' from one day to the next. I am just choosing activities for the day I know he will enjoy but I am really wanting some continuity. I am wanting to peg the weeks onto some kind of longer term plan. Not only would this aid in planning but I want to make sure I don't miss large chunks of learning.

Is anyone else home-educating a key stage 1 child and able to recommend some kind of plan? Ridiculously, I am a key stage 1 teacher but I'm still at a loss.

Any help would be so much appreciated.

Tinuviel Sat 10-Sep-11 00:44:32

alittlebitofstructure.webs.com/ is a useful forum for structured home educators. You will get lots of ideas here. It's a private forum so you do have to join.

My 3 DCs are older now but we used to do projects on things that interested them and we used Schofield and Sims workbooks for English and Maths. We also used a lovely history course called Story of the World (DD is on the last year of it now) - lots of lovely hands on ideas and suggested books for further reading, both history and fiction.

LastSummer Sat 10-Sep-11 13:24:56

www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks1bitesize/ is a useful resource, as are www.mathletics.com/ and www.spellodrome.com/.
www.galorepark.co.uk/parents.html is a source of excellent textbooks, mainly for KS2 and KS3.
At least until the kids are older, let the plan be: No plan!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now