Talk

Advanced search

Educational DVD's: what are your recommendations?

(3 Posts)
TilGT Sun 04-Sep-11 20:34:26

Hi everyone,
We're home schooling, but it's v early days as ds is 5, dd is 4 and another dd is 1.
We love reading egg and poisson rouge, but do you have any other recommendations for sites that have really worked for you?
Also, I'd love to know if you have any DVD recommendations? For instance general knowledge, fun facts etc rather than Dora and baby Einstein!
Thank you in advance!
Til

Saracen Mon 05-Sep-11 04:05:47

Hi Til!

We don't do DVDs but do watch a lot of BBC iPlayer. You can watch it streamed for up to a week after broadcast, or install their application which allows you to download and watch for up to 30 days after broadcast. There isn't a huge amount there for younger children but here are a few things we like.

CBeebies Bedtime Stories
Our Planet (kiddy version of nature documentary for age 2-6ish)

Some of the BBC documentaries intended for general audiences are lightweight but interesting. Use the iPlayer "Factual" category to find documentaries. Depending on your children, they may enjoy dipping into some of these. My 5yo doesn't have a huge amount of interest but will sit through them and take some of it in if the rest of the family are watching. Here are some of the more accessible programmes which she has enjoyed recently:

Bang Goes the Theory
Coast
Coast Shorts - there's a good one at the moment about a supperquarry and another about harvesting sand from the sea bed for industrial uses.
Elegance and Decadence: The Age of the Regency
Horizon
Life
Natural World
Wonderstuff

Mummyinggnome Mon 05-Sep-11 22:56:59

Hi Saracen,
Thanks so much for the advice.
I so wish i player worked but I live in Switzerland so it doesn't! So irritating!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now