Talk

Advanced search

help with a prism

(7 Posts)
mumette Fri 26-Aug-11 08:28:20

my 7 yr dd was chopsing away as usual at breakfast, sometimes stopping for breath, me wishing i was still in bed. the subject come round to rainbows and why no one had found the pot of gold. an apple and a lid from a painkiller tub helped to explain it. but trying to tell her about white light from the sun and how it splits into the different colours semi worked. any ideas how i can split the light, i remeember using a prism at school many moons ago, of course i havnt got one. how else can i split light without spending much money

julienoshoes Fri 26-Aug-11 09:37:42

could you wait for a sunny day and have fun with a hose in the garden, making your own rainbows? That's what we did when faced with similar questions.

NotJustKangaskhan Fri 26-Aug-11 16:11:46

This may be easier. It's pretty much a video of what julie said (using a hose/spray to create a rainbow in sunlight) since today doesn't look good for rainbow making at least where I am.

LauraIngallsWilder Fri 26-Aug-11 20:54:42

When the sun does shine, my kids in delight in noticing rainbows on my bedroom wall.
Messing about with a CD, a piece of white paper/pale wall and sunshine produces great results.

Im ashamed to say my 9yo son understands the science better than i do blush

Try the happy scientist - ive got a subscription but even without theres quite a bit you can access about rainbows. The link should take you straight to a list of rainbow stuff - but if not type rainbow into the search box.

HTH

mumette Fri 26-Aug-11 23:28:22

thankyou for all your replies, i should be kept busy for a while now smile

Betelguese Tue 13-Sep-11 00:23:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Waldorfhome Tue 13-Sep-11 23:45:05

Rapid online sell prisms. Can highly recommend them, we use them for most of our school supplies.
www.rapidonline.com/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now