Talk

Advanced search

Learning about the Romans in KS2

(9 Posts)
chicaguapa Sat 16-Jul-11 20:51:26

DD moved schools halfway through Y3 and managed to study the Egyptians twice and miss the Romans. We're going to be visiting Pompeii on our holiday next year and DD has expressed an interest in learning about the Romans before we go. I wondered if anyone who does Home Ed could recommend any books/ learning sites where I could cover this with DD at home. Thanks.

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 17-Jul-11 00:50:02

i don't do home ed, I'm a mere teacher wink
IMHO there is good stuff to be had on on BBC history and I like this!!
How about getting her to make some mosaics, look at some designs and have a go at your own using bits of tiles, pebbles, beads - anything really?
Also take a look at buildings, hypercaust system, variety of buildings (libraries, baths, shops, forts, houses etc) and just how advanced they were. You'll see all of this before your eyes at Pompeii.

Pompeii is absolutely awesome, much bigger than you imagine from the photos, and I think it's a great idea to get her a bit more clued up about the Roman history before you go! Maybe also look at volcanoes - obviously relevant, and fascinating if she understands the unstoppable nature of the lava smile

chicaguapa Sun 17-Jul-11 08:57:56

That's brilliant! Thanks. Hadn't thought about volcanoes too.

I remember going to Roma and wishing I knew more about the Roman empire etc. So we'll all benefit from knowing more when we go to Pompeii.

Peachy Sun 17-Jul-11 09:07:59

Where are you? Are there any local sites you can start with- Bath, Caerleon, wherever? I imagine the scale of Pompeii will be espeically striking when comapred to the UK sites (Caerleon is good and has a Roman museum also, worth a detour if you ever head to Wales or the SW as not far from the MWay / bridge, and without the costs associated with visting Bath)

roisin Sun 17-Jul-11 09:31:41

The Roman Mysteries by Caroline Lawrence are a series of fictional books, but well-researched, which include lots of info about Roman life.

15 books for £7 here!

CheerMum Sun 17-Jul-11 10:37:24

Horrible Histories are always good - Rotten Romans book x

JazminKennedy Tue 19-Jul-11 01:08:48

Hiya, do you do lapbooks? We will be working on the Romans next year and i have printed out resources from here: http://www.homeschoolshare.com/ancient_rome.php And i've found this but its not free: http://www.currclick.com/product_info.php?products_id=2433

chicaguapa Tue 19-Jul-11 19:31:24

Thanks. It's all quite overwhelming! So much to learn about the Romans shock Just found out from Dsis that her DD did Pompeii in Y4 so it's a shame DD missed it. Our fault for moving. blush

user1457183555 Sat 05-Mar-16 15:05:45

This is new on Amazon. It's fun.

www.amazon.co.uk/Romans-Ruled-poems-Ancient-History-ebook/dp/B0185Z22JS/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1457190322&sr=1-1&keywords=romans+ruled

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now