Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Some happy thoughts

(6 Posts)
angelstar Wed 13-Jul-11 21:05:07

I have posted a few times on here asking for advice and seeking support when I felt like HE wasn't working. I have some positive things to say now so thought I would post them too smile

DD got ill about 3 weeks ago and was washed out for about a week, after she recovered a bit I tried to introduce some work ( a workbook) She was really not up to it and looked like she would cry so I decided to stop trying any formal work and start the summer break early. I was quite wobbly about this as she wasn't responding to my suggestions of things to do (see other post) anyway.... towards the end of last week and this week she has just started doing things spontaneously!
She has picked up the camera and decided to learn how to use it properly, she has done role play with her brother which she then turned into a power point all about monsters and villains. Today she made me a cake for my birthday and created a cream icing topping all by herself (normally she always wanted my support with baking)

Her sister bought some Japanese letters (like phonics) home from school today and she decided to find how to do her name etc and then suggesting things she wanted to do. yay! Anyway I suggested she write them down and she has now decided to use a book she has as a planning /scrap/ anything book smile
I now am beginning to believe that autonomous education can work. After leaving school 7m ago now she is finally I hope/think starting think more for herself.

SDeuchars Wed 13-Jul-11 23:52:11

That's great, AngelStar!

I know we said at the beginning, but I'll point out for the benefit of the new people round here that the rule of thumb on deschooling is one month for each year in school. It can take longer if school was traumatic or if the family (parent or child) don't trust the process and try to impose work from the start.

Hufflepuzzpig Wed 13-Jul-11 23:59:28

Fab post smile

I'm not a home edder - we decided to send DD to school at least to start with, she really loves preschool and is thriving, so we will see how it goes. I've been lurking on this board since joining MN though (serial namechanger here!) and even though my DCs will be at school it's a great place full of inspiration smile

Saracen Thu 14-Jul-11 01:07:34

That's wonderful! I'm delighted that you have started to see things happening. Fantastic news!

FionaJNicholson Thu 14-Jul-11 06:33:59

Happy Birthday! (erm unless she made the cake early?) She'll be able to tell you are pleased as well, so that's positive feedback loop, rather than hearing you experience it negatively as "she won't even TOUCH those workbooks..."

CheerMum Thu 14-Jul-11 08:21:07

Great news, really pleased for you all x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now