Talk

Advanced search

I have some questions about HE

(3 Posts)
DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Wed 13-Jul-11 16:14:08

Hello smile

I have some questions about HE, some may be rather obvious, so I apologise, but it is something I do want to consider and I want to know as much as possible.

At what age would you start? I understand that children can be taken out of school at anytime, but what I mean really is what age would you start if not sending to school in the first place?

How would you start? Would you follow a curriculum or just follow the child's lead? Does there come a point when learning needs to become more formal?

What reasons would make you choose to HE instead
of sending to school? Do you worry that your child may have some difficulties because they haven't been to school?

Is it possible to have your child at full time school but still HE on the side. I mean is HE something that can be done to 'enrich' (not sure that is the right word) your child's school education rather than be done instead of? Or is that just what is called pushy parenting? grin

Thank you in advance smile

AMumInScotland Wed 13-Jul-11 16:38:03

Hi - don't worry about asking "obvious" questions, we all start somewhere!

If people decide not to send their child to school, there isn't usually a specific point where they change over from the things parents tend to do with a "preschooler" to "education" - it just develops over time as the child gets older and wants to do different things. So you read stories to a 3yo and point out things which start with a certain letter. When they turn 4 or 5 they may show more interest in the letters and words, or they may not till they are 6 or 7. In general, people who choose to HE from the start are likely to do it because they don't want their child to be "expected" to do certain things just because of their age, so they are likely to take the child's lead and do things as they show an interest.

There are curriculum materials, but most parents will do more of a "pick and mix", using materials that seem to suit their child at the time - so one child may be reading early but not so interested in numbers, and you might pick up workbooks for literacy aimed at an "older" child, but stick to simpler counting and adding till they develop further in that area.

There's no reason it ever has to get formal, but it can if it suits you and/or your child - some like to have more of a plan to their day/week others like to take it as it comes - and that lets you look at the weather when you get up and decide what you want to do!

I only HEd for two years in secondary, but the reasons for HEing are many and varied - some just don't think school will suit their child, some think they start to young or are too pushed, some don't like the schools they have available. If you give your child chances to interact with other children, to work as a team, to learn about things like taking turns and sharing, then there's no reason why HE should disadvantage them socially.

HE as an extra - well, that's either "pushy parenting" if you are the one who is foisting it on an unenthusiastic child, or "normality" if you mean you spend quality time with your child outside of school, encouraging their interests and talking about wider issues!

HTH

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Wed 13-Jul-11 18:19:24

Thank you, that is really helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now