Talk

Advanced search

Not sure where to start!! Advice for a newbie please?!

(16 Posts)
Lexiejack Wed 06-Jul-11 10:17:43

In all honesty to begin with I thought home schooling was for overly religious people but having looked into it more I've really started to think that I'd at the very least want to try flexi-schooling for DS and DD. At the moment they're only 2 and 1 but DS attends his grandmothers nursery 3 days a week to interact with other kids. Im not great at baby groups tbh!! Where would I begin in home schooling them? Is it too early? We currently do some reading flashcards and I use a few iPhone apps with regard to other languages. Are there suitable activites to start them with? So confused!!

homeedmam11 Wed 06-Jul-11 13:04:35

Hi there,

You will find all sorts of people homeschool, and probably most not for "religious" reasons.
I personally would not start anything yet, its quite early. My dd went to school for reception and year 1, she was 5 by this time and could read, write her name etc and count. But that was follwoing the school curriculum which a lot of HE's do not do, we have continued following the curriculum though. Its entirely up to yourself what you do. Hope this helps.smile

Lexiejack Wed 06-Jul-11 14:05:17

Thank u. Apologies if the religion thing caused any offence it was my initial view but having done a bit if research I've realised my mistake lol. I like the idea of flexi as I think 5 is too young for full time schooling and DS doesn't cope well with new situations/people/behaving nicely!!! Lol

ommmward Wed 06-Jul-11 14:33:39

For me, home education is just a natural continuation of family life with a 3 year old, which is a natural extension of life with a toddler, which is a natural extension of life with a baby.

We don't do structured, formal education At All in our family, unless one of the children wants to do something structured and formal. It mostly happens in conversations - we spent a good half hour today, while walking/rollerskating home from the park, thinking up rhyming words. Lots of under-the-surface learning stuff going on there; lots of splendid work on language understanding and use; nothing whatsoever to show for it on paper at the end. And for us, it's almost entirely child led. We adults run with the conversations and the activities instead of trying to make them more educational.

JazminKennedy Thu 07-Jul-11 00:08:03

Hiya, we are completely opp to ommmward as i am very very structured-lesson plan and all! lol Comes from my many years of being a teachergrin I had to start very early as my daughter was reading an writing at age 2! My children really need structure, however, i only formly teach for 1-2hours max in the morn and the rest is them learning through structured/play. My friends however are unschooling and that works great with them and their kids.smile

Lexiejack Thu 07-Jul-11 23:23:28

I love planning!! My favourite part of nursery work was planning, writing lists a d organising lol. I have dreams of beautifully colour co ordinated folders of the kids work if we home ed!! blush please don't burst my bubble!!
We have started reading (flashcards mainly but few first reading books from library) but not sure what activities and that I can do with them

JazminKennedy Fri 08-Jul-11 00:15:19

LOL! You should see my lapbooks! We love colourful folders :-D

Flascards are great. Remember display is a huge tool as well well, i've got tons of educational posters, most we made, hung on the walls. Try out diff reading schemes, i've used the Sunshine book sceme, Usborne Phonicss Readers set, Oxford Read at Home series and Read and Write Inc Phonics collection. I taught my 4 year old son to read in 3 weeks, it had to be done in that time coz i knew i'd be getting pregnant and then dying becaus of it!!sad We read one book together, then spent 10 min each morn working on rhyming words and word blends on the mini whiteboards. And then finally i would get my son to choose a book and let him lead.

All our learning is mainly done through or involves art. Painting, labelling, making things project related. Here is a link to all the activities we do on a daily basis: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=164014243270

Lexiejack Fri 08-Jul-11 00:22:47

Omg I think im in love with u!! To the point where I want to go back in time and be home educated at your house! Lol!! The only thing worrying me about home ed is the little rites of passage they might miss out on- first day of school and obligatory uniform photo, prom etc

dizzydaizy Fri 08-Jul-11 00:57:35

We home school and mix it up a bit. Some planned things sometimes then at other times we wing it!! The children seem to enjoy it more and actually learn more when we have fun as opposed to when I try to make it regimented and school like.

JazminKennedy Fri 08-Jul-11 01:23:27

LOL! Hahaha, awwwwwe thanx. As you can see, we don't do it anything like school, i absolutely love homeschooling, i can't wait to have this baby so i can start from the begining again! Yes i'm crazy!shock
And don't worry about the nitty gritty things. My kids go to many clubs, gymnastics, swimming, drama, Karate-they get awards and medals hence lots of time for a photo op!grin

Lexiejack Fri 08-Jul-11 13:43:11

Do they enjoy it? Or have they ever said they want to go to school? I'm worried that we'll start home edding and then they'll decide they want to go to school but it'll be too much for them

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Fri 08-Jul-11 18:32:31

Watching with interest. Planning on home ed ("unschooling") for ds 17m and dc2 due sept. smile

Lexiejack Fri 08-Jul-11 18:41:07

I'm so torn!! Bit worried that they'll get sick of me or dare I admit it- I'll get sick of them always being there and go crazy!!! Plus their dad isn't too keen on the idea!

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Fri 08-Jul-11 18:57:42

They don't have to be in education till they are five so you have a while to decide...and you can always change your mind later if it doesn't work for you.

I'll have to work a day or two a week but am hoping to do a sort of time share with another home eder maybe a day a week, then either dh or maybe mil will have them another day...so that'll be two days a week free apart. Remember unlike school you can home ed any time of day, any day of the week or year... So you don't really need to be with them 9-5 iyswim.

JazminKennedy Fri 08-Jul-11 20:35:22

Bored? Never! Too much to do, soooo much to learn about!grin My kids have never been to school but all my nieces and nephews (all 17 of em have!) and they find it weird that their mummys don't homeschool them. You have to stay focussed and busy, we all have bad days but its mostly good'uns smile

Oh and my lot have never ever said if they could go to school. TBH with you, even if they did wake up 2moro and say to me that they wanted to go to school, i wouldn't allow it, they're not at an age to make those kinda decisions yet. And another thing i have always reiterated is that if my kids went to school then i wouldn't be able to sit at home and do nothing, i'd go back to teaching in schools, so teaching 30+ kids, all different levels and abilities, then come home, bring all the planning with me, cook, clean and give my own kids some attention, omgosh i'm exhausted just writing all that!!!LOLshock

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but teaching 2 kids is blisssmile

Lexiejack Fri 08-Jul-11 20:47:15

I think in my head I've already planned their next 10 yrs out lol well at least the books we can read!! Now just need to find a winning lottery ticket and we can do it! Lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now