Talk

Advanced search

Phonics and maths recommendations please for 4.5yo?

(10 Posts)
morethanasong Mon 04-Jul-11 16:48:08

My 4.5yo is keen to do 'proper school' in September, when most of her friends will be starting in Reception. I don't want to have a really formal approach to HE - especially at this stage - but I was thinking of getting phonics and maths programmes to make a start with, and I'd really like some recommendations before I start spending money!

Tarenath Mon 04-Jul-11 16:54:42

DS is 4.4. For phonics I use Progressive Phonics. It's free and you can do it on the computer, or print it out. I chose to get DH to print each chapter at work as we get to it. We tried Jolly Phonics but really didn't get on with it.

We also raid the pound shops for workbooks. At this age it's still very much fun and games but he likes to do more academic things. I think it makes him feel like a big kid and he gets on really well with them.

Tinuviel Mon 04-Jul-11 20:22:52

We used Letterland, which all the DCs enjoyed. It's a lot simpler than Jolly Phonics and they do a range of products.

LauraIngallsWilder Mon 04-Jul-11 21:23:30

We love Jolly phonics and miquon math.

morethanasong Tue 05-Jul-11 08:29:06

Thanks for these suggestions!

woolleybear Tue 12-Jul-11 10:55:11

We use www.starfall.com

cardlady Tue 26-Jul-11 21:06:54

My son did not know his alphabet sounds at 4 and a half. I used the Jolly Phonics programme, which he loved. By 5 he was reading simple books. He is now 6 and he is free reading, he is a year ahead for his age. I would recommend Jolly Phonics to anyone.

KarenHL Tue 26-Jul-11 21:10:35

Would recommend Singapore Math workbooks v.highly. If you want something a bit more interactive, lots of people use MathUSee. There is a free maths resource via the University of Plymouth that is based on the National Curriculum www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm.

HTH

imabiggirlnow Tue 26-Jul-11 21:10:58

I have used the Jump maths program from Canada, set up by John Mighton (might be wrong spelling there! - he of beautiful mind fame). It is fascinating and has amazing results, I would suggest reading his book on maths teaching to see if you agree with his ideals first. He believes that every child is an undiscovered maths genius and that you can use this program to teach anyone and IMO works a treat. Also have use Read Write Inc for phonics. (All for tutoring not as a parent.)

seachange Fri 29-Jul-11 09:47:17

Bob books. Love love love them. Admittedly we've only had them for a couple of weeks, but DS (5) is giggling away at the illustrations. 

I also use the Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading (very slowly) and Beechick's The 3 R's.

My favourite things for maths are top trumps (esp the Predators one, has taught DS to count in the thousands and, a bit more shakily, decimal points), and pocket money/saving up for a toy - seems to provide some good motivation in adding/subtracting how much he still needs grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now