Talk

Advanced search

Not interested in anything I offer

(8 Posts)
angelstar Fri 01-Jul-11 11:26:37

Hi
I don't mean dd isn't interested in anything but every time I offer her something outside of the home she is not interested ie. art class, any sports, performing arts, guides, HE gruops etc.

I am torn between making her learning more structured and trusting the autonomous approach. I'm just not sure she would ever get so interested in something that she would do anything about it. She likes Art but thinks she's rubbish at it and won't go to any groups or classes, even if I go with her. She wants to be a writer but won't write anything. She will read endless amounts of horrible histories books and will sew little craft things, (felt hearts, flowers and star decorations atm) and will bake but that's about it atm. Oh and she is trying to make an ipod cover from felt and elastic but isn't interested in researching how to do things herself and only takes her projects so far. Once she doesn't know what to do she stops. She is 12 and should be in yr 7 at school.

ZZZenAgain Fri 01-Jul-11 11:31:53

has she ever been to any of these courses and disliked the experience or has she never tried any?

I think (don't know if this ties in with your parenting/HE approach) I would say for the next school year she has to do one sport and one craft activity. Research it yourself, present her with the possibilities and she has to choose one of each (at the least) and stick it for a term or a school year. You cannot get good at something without doing it and sometimes you just do need instruction.

Is she a perfectionist, is it that she cannot bear to do something in case she is not good enough at it?

AMumInScotland Fri 01-Jul-11 12:04:59

I'm not sure of your history here? Did she leave school for HE, and if so how long ago? My first thought is that maybe she is still feeling "I'm no good at anything so there's no point trying" after a bad time at school, and that can take a long time to go away. But that depends on the background of course!

angelstar Fri 01-Jul-11 12:06:51

She left school last November (yr 7) she has previously always been in school.

ZZZenAgain Fri 01-Jul-11 12:14:38

she hasn't been out that long. I should think she still has not entirely "recovered" from it, if that is the right term. No, perhaps readjusted to a new style of education

LastSummer Fri 01-Jul-11 15:28:27

My 12-year-old daughter enjoys BBC KS3 BiteSize. It takes her gently through KS3 in English, science and maths, while allowing her to play games and test her skills. You might mention to your daughter that within English she'll find tips on creative writing. Here's a link:

www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks3bitesize/

catbus Tue 12-Jul-11 11:09:14

Hello Angelstar. I have PMd you before but no reply??!!
Anyway, my DD is also 12 and in many ways, sounds very similar to yours. I am also unsure of how to go, as we've been autonomous for some time: I am never sure if this is just about ME wobbling, not about what she is really doing, IYSWIM??
Anyway, just wanted to say I get where you are coming from, and if you wanted to PM me, you're welcome, or if you thought DDs would benefit from getting in contact, then that's also welcome! smile

beachesforme Wed 20-Jul-11 13:34:46

is there a bite sized thing like this for 6 year old (was 6 in feb)not sure what school year she would be in key stage 3 maybe .I have never taken notice of the way the system works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now