Talk

Advanced search

Advice for a friend please?

(13 Posts)
yearningforthesun Thu 30-Jun-11 22:39:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JazminKennedy Thu 30-Jun-11 22:45:47

Wow, she's right on track!! I know home edders with over 10 years exp who have none of the above!grin

She will pass with flying colours! I had a recent inspection and the lady was shocked to see my yearly plans. I only found out recently that not all homeschoolers actually make any plans.

yearningforthesun Thu 30-Jun-11 22:47:35

LauraIngallsWilder Thu 30-Jun-11 22:58:30

Hi yearning smile
That is a seriously impressive list!
Legally though I think all she needs to do is inform the school she wishes to deregister her child. A good next option is to write to the lea with an educational philosophy. Attending HE groups is fun (but she doesnt need to tell the lea about that)
She is under no obligation to do all the rest of it - giving the lea access to her blog etc shock - has she given them the keys to her house too grin

Even with an aggressive lea in my experience I dont think she needs to sell them her soul, just keep them sweet iyswim

yearningforthesun Thu 30-Jun-11 23:05:24

JazminKennedy Thu 30-Jun-11 23:18:02

Everybody is different. I am very structured, comes from my teaching background and others are very laid back, which is fine. There is no harm in being open, i told the inspector about my FB group, she wanted my resources so i told her she could go there, it has nothing to do with selling your soul, if you've got nothing to hide then there is no issue. I love homeschoolinggrin

LauraIngallsWilder Thu 30-Jun-11 23:19:13

Even so yearning she doesnt need to do that!

yearningforthesun Thu 30-Jun-11 23:38:59

julienoshoes Fri 01-Jul-11 08:00:15

I agree she doesn't have to do all of the above however definately wouldn't give the LA

'a year/term plan of what she wants to cover.'

as we are obliged to provide an education that is suitable and efficient.

'efficient' in home ed terms has been defined as "achieving what it sets out to achieve"

so by giving a yearly plan, your friend may run into difficulties, if for any reason that she deviates from that plan..........say for instance she jumps something because her children turn out to be better at something than she anticipated, a LA who is 'a pain in the backside' could say that she set out to do something and didn't achieve it.

It was one of the arguments against Badman's recommendations.

and I have supported families who have LAs who do say such things.

which LA does your friend come under?

Saracen Fri 01-Jul-11 08:17:11

"They cant ask more than that can they?"

You'd be surprised what some LAs think they can do. Ironically, sometimes it is the compliant families who get asked to supply more and more and more. Perhaps they look like easy targets compared with the families who indicate that they are aware of the law and will not be pushed to jump through unnecessary hoops.

The LA isn't entitled to ask for nearly as much as your friend has prepared. Many LAs ask for a meeting and want to see the child, but there is no obligation to comply.

Agree with Julie that it's a poor idea to supply detailed plans of what she will cover and how. As for the rest, since your friend has already gone to all that work, if she is happy to share it then perhaps she might as well do so. But she should know that she can draw a line under it thereafter and decline to supply any updates or other information. (Assuming of course that the LA has expressed no reasonable concerns about the education after they have waded through all this information.)

yearningforthesun Fri 01-Jul-11 09:54:36

FionaJNicholson Fri 01-Jul-11 15:28:13

Blackpool doesn't have many home educated children on its books (around 50 last time I asked) I've been told that they fret about Gypsy Roma Traveller children "being out of school" and indeed they have put home ed under the "diversity learning team." http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/Services/A-F/DiversityLearningTeam/Home.htm

I'm in Sheffield. My son's 18. The other day I asked him if he had a plan for the next year and he said "to get more experience playing music live". Another year we had a plan to "do some maths." Seems like plenty enough plans for us or the LA or anyone!

I've found with awkward LAs that they might have half a dozen boxes mental tick boxes. They are rigid. Say they want samples of work. You could give them a 1 sentence plan or a 20 page plan but if you didn't produce samples of work you wouldn't get that box ticked. Some of them just have a bee in their bonnet about a particular thing. Because you could produce samples of x and then they'd want samples of y. Or they'd want samples of x-+-improvement after length of time. I'd also be concerned about someone burning out.

JazminKennedy Mon 04-Jul-11 01:09:12

yearningforthesun Yep, the good old 'sunny' Manchester!

It really depends on how you plan, i have 2 kids and in my annual plan and i say this is what we 'hope' to cover, if we can do it great and if we can't then it will go over. My kids are only 6 and 5 btw. All our work is done through lapbooking. I am also heavily pregnant atm and told the inspector that we will not be doing 'formal' sit down work for at least a month or two after i have given birth. I think i was blessed with good inspector as she was very empathetic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now