Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone Flexi school?

(16 Posts)
veritythebrave Mon 27-Jun-11 09:56:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IndigoBell Mon 27-Jun-11 11:47:24

Sounds amazing!

Flexi schooling is nothing to do with the LEA. It's an arrangement between you and school.

Seeing as school as so accommodating they should be able to advise you on the best way to do it. I've done it when DS went into school in the mornings, and came home in the afternoon. And am hoping to do the opposite soon with DD where she stays at home in the mornings and goes in for the afternoon.

I think this works better than taking days off. My school (and lots of others) teach maths and english in the mornings, and everything else in the afternoon, so that's why it's better to take off either mornings or afternoons rather than whole days.

Because they probably will spend a whole week on the same topic, so if she misses out on some of the lessons it won't work so well.

However this school obviously has a way of making it all work, so ring them and find out what they would prefer you do.......

FionaJNicholson Mon 27-Jun-11 19:41:17

Hi

It sounds like Hollinsclough. If so, it's not like anywhere else I know of, although Erpingham School in Norfolk is looking to do something similar. I wrote about it here edyourself.org/articles/flexischoolingconference.php

veritythebrave Mon 27-Jun-11 20:08:17

IndigoBell Mon 27-Jun-11 20:53:41

Exactly - you are not home schooling and you don't need to tell the LEA.

The school will sort out all the paperwork for you....

veritythebrave Mon 27-Jun-11 21:01:11

UnseenAcademicalMum Mon 04-Jul-11 14:20:42

We are thinking about flexi-schooling for ds2, who would be due to start reception next september (i.e. 2012). As I understand it, we don't need to make any special arrangements till the term after he starts 5 (by which time he would be in year 1 anyway as summer born), but what is the best way to go about approaching schools on this? Are many schools very negative towards it?

FionaJNicholson Mon 04-Jul-11 22:57:23

Most schools are negative about flexischooling, or at the very least non-plussed by the whole idea. Some don't believe it's legal. Some freak out at what they imagine will be all the extra work. Some think it will start a flood towards part-time pupils which could result in the LA cutting funding. Where I'm aware it's worked, the school and the family have set out clear obligations and responsibilities, almost a contract if you will. I've got some info about it on my website here edyourself.org/articles/flexischoolingconference.php#howtomakeitwork

UnseenAcademicalMum Mon 04-Jul-11 23:41:05

Thanks for that. The link is really very helpful. As things stand, I do think this is the way to go for us at the moment, but I do need to do my research.

FionaJNicholson Tue 05-Jul-11 05:33:56

You want them to mark the register Code B and ideally you want the LA to give the school full funding. (It's discretionary as to whether they fund fully or pro rata, but I wouldn't raise this unless school does and then I'd tell them truthfully that some LAs do pay for the full-time place.) A few LAs have published guidance to schools: Devon, West Sussex (weird idea from W. Sussex only flexischool if you have Olympic potential!) Leicester (not helpful really because hung up on having to mark register Code C)

Gotabookaboutit Thu 07-Jul-11 23:18:29

I do it with 2 of mine - my 8yr old and my 13 yr old - have a 6 yr old who loves school. Works very well for us and surprisingly for school.

FionaJNicholson Fri 08-Jul-11 05:44:19

Gotabookaboutit, looking at the age of yr children (8 and 13) have you secured flexischool arrangement with 2 different schools and have you seen Philippa's post on here about her flexischooling research project with the Open University?

edyourself.org/articles/flexischoolingconference.php#research

Sorry for questions, just surprised and impressed at this err flexibility in your local school system!

Gotabookaboutit Fri 08-Jul-11 11:11:57

yes primary and senior - Oldest in Aspergers support unit in mainstream senior school and 8yr old in rural primary. Not much err 'flexibility' in my Local LEA to be honest, more a reluctance to take me head on in the 1st place then surprise from school when it has really worked well. Schools and LEA have lots of experiences of dealing with me over SEN provision smile

jabed Sun 10-Jul-11 11:20:59

This sounds a fantastic idea. Is there a list of flexi schools anywhere? I think this could suit my needs for my DS right now.

I googled and cant find one in my area but I may not be putting in the right words ( or they may not be widely advertised.)

UnseenAcademicalMum Sun 10-Jul-11 12:30:05

Does anyone know if I wanted to send ds2 to a school outside our catchment area, but with a flexi-school arrangement, is it best to talk to the school about that before putting in the application, or wait till we've secured a place with the school and then talk to them about the possibility of flexi-schooling?

FionaJNicholson Sun 10-Jul-11 16:41:02

Hi Jabed

There isn't a list. What you have to do is ask for a meeting with a particular school and say that you want to discuss the option of flexischooling. Doesn't matter whether your child is already a registered pupil at the school or not. Send some links. Be prepared for the fact that they won't know what you're talking about or will say it's not allowed.

To UnseenAcademicalMum: if you aren't interested in full-time school, I would say there's no point in keeping the flexi thing quiet. As far as I'm aware, the school isn't any more committed to meeting your needs or being accommodating once you have a place.

In all cases it's good if you can think of a reason to sell the flexi thing to the school, in terms of why the school might want to say yes, as well as trying to counter the school's possible objections.

And it's always a more popular suggestion when the school has falling rolls because a flexi pupil's money might be much better than nothing, even if it's a bit of an admin issue for the school.

edyourself.org/articles/flexischoolingconference.php
edyourself.org/articles/flexischoolingconference.php#howtomakeitwork

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: