Talk

Advanced search

Could I run past you, what I do with my 6 year old just to check if I'm covering everything.

(17 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Sun 19-Jun-11 13:18:56

Hi, my daughter is 6 but has a developmental delay of pprox 2 years. She is also being assessed for ASD.
We do all our formal work in the mornings, as her concentration gets worse as the day goes on. She starts with her Brain Gym programme of excercises, breakfast, then speech therapy games + work sheets, writing for perpose, eg a letter to someone in the family, inc phonics and some words she'll have a go at spelling on her own, with magnetic letters. Then a snack, then some drawing/playing, then I'll read to her nd ask questions about the story. This takes us up to about 11am. We usually start it at 8:30am, as she's usually raring to go by this time.

That's more or less it for the formal so far. The rest of the day is spent either playing, going out, nature walks, riding bike, cooking, baking, meeting her friends, I'll let her watch a DVD with me some days, if she's done well with her HE. We also play a lot of games together, mostly to work on listening skills and concentration etc.

She has 2 days off a week, but still has to do her excercises on those days. I've found tht even her "days off" are filled with learning, eg at the local farms, national trust places, the zoo, etc.

The only thing I don't think she's covering is maths. WE talk about measurements when it crops up in cooking etc, she'll measure things and I'll ask wether it's more or less etc. We'll count out things we need as well, but I'm thinking we should do some form of maths as part of her morning? Perhaps a simple maths game? I'd be greatful if you can recommend any fun maths games or activities. She really doesn't like maths, but is always willing to play a game. wink

Do you think this is o.k for now? When she's older, I'll be getting her a tutor, but I don't think it's really worth it at the moment. She's doing as much as she can deal with I think. I always know when our morning sessions should come to an end, as she starts being silly, not listening etc. I'll always end on a positive and give her a sticker and marble for her pot.

If anyone has any tips or ideas for fun activities that'll help her learning, especially in maths I'd be really greatful. smile

mummyloveslucy Sun 19-Jun-11 13:46:51

This is a fairly new rageme by the way, tht's why I wnted to run it past you. WE used to do just excercise and speech in the mornings, then just follow her lead the rest of the day. She was just spending all her time doing imagenary play though. She did write, but random letters. She didn't want any imput from me either. We'd play games and do most of the above, but there was no structure and I think she took charge far too much.

She's responding to her "home ed" mornings far better and accepts that although she has choices, I'm in charge of it. I don't want to sound like some sort of tigre mother, I'm certainly not. I think that she feels more secure knowing what's happening from day to day. Her general behaviour has also improved.

We went for a walk the other evening with her, just through the fields and she said "I love walking with you! I'm so lucky to have you and Daddy as my parents". (Bless her little cottons) things are definatly on the up. I'm a lot happier. smile

SDeuchars Sun 19-Jun-11 15:13:51

I'm really pleased that you are a lot happier, MLL. This sounds loads for you to be doing. I wouldn't worry too much about covering maths in any formal worksheet way - practical uses (such as measuring and counting) and using the correct terms (add, multiply, more, less, etc.) are much more important than "doing sums". Jigsaws and music are also important for mathematical development.

Board games are really good for maths without being "maths" - turn taking, counting to six, decision making (which piece to move, which way to go), matching.

At the moment, you'll probably see a lot more mathematical development from those things than from a maths workbook.

LauraIngallsWilder Sun 19-Jun-11 17:06:24

HI MLL
I have been reading your posts about your dd since way before you even thought about HE. I think it sounds like you are doing a great job (she obviously thinks so!)
I truly honestly think you should take a chill pill. She is only 6, fret not, there is no rush - and while she obviously has difficulties it doesnt sound like she is much further behind my dd.
My dd is just 7 and isnt doing much better than your dd, she is way behind her peers - but Im not worried,
Why? because I know that the level that she is at is her level, the way she is comfortable learning right now.
Honestly try not to worry - she will be fine smile

LauraIngallsWilder Sun 19-Jun-11 17:14:14

Games - hunt for these in charity shops or buy them
On our shelves we have:
Orchard toys: piggy in the middle, pop to the shops, ladybird game, bus stop game.
DK silly sentances, DK puzzle sums,
Look out for the old favourites - downfall, connect 4, hangman, stay alive, frustration, sorry, flying hats, othello.
But most board games are really worthwhile educationally. One of my favourite things to do is to hunt for 'treasure' in charity shops!

For more formal maths learning dd is doing miqoun math and rightstart math (I got rightstart secondhand from an email list) But there are loads of websites with free maths worksheets and online games. We also have lots of 'math manipulatives' (ask me if you want to know what we have got and find really good)
Also if you are interested I dont mind posting our usual schedule for comparison.
I hope that helps smile

hocuspontas Sun 19-Jun-11 17:34:01

Go shopping! Adding the cost of items together, paying for them with the right coins and calculating the change covers LOADS of maths. Also learning the time can be a subtle way of calculating (how many hours until tea-time? etc). Play games with teddy and a box for positional language (left, right, inside, outside, next to, over, under, below, beside etc). Line teddies and dolls up to practice ordinal numbers (who's fourth etc). Cut a pizza up for fractions (halves, quarters, three-quarters).

mollymole Sun 19-Jun-11 18:33:18

I think you need to learn to spell and write in sentances before you start educating anyone.

hocuspontas Sun 19-Jun-11 18:42:08

I think you need to learn to spell 'sentence' before you criticise anyone else. hmm

mollymole Sun 19-Jun-11 18:54:56

I don't need to learn to spell because I am not putting myself up toteach anyone else - and at least I don't cheat by 'spellchecking'

hocuspontas Sun 19-Jun-11 18:59:41

But if you want your posts understood you need to explain what the word 'toteach' means. It's not in my dictionary.

And before you slag the op off even more, she is always upfront and aware that her spelling may not always be correct. However that doesn't mean she can't brilliantly HE her dd.

mummyloveslucy Sun 19-Jun-11 19:17:37

Thanks mollymole, that's so helpful! hmm

mummyloveslucy Sun 19-Jun-11 19:58:02

Thanks everyone else! I'll have a look for those games. smile

It does seem to be working out well, I'm hoping that she won't need to do these excersises for much longer and that will really cut the time down.
I worked last night and I'm working again tonight, so she's with me for the mornings, then down at her grandmas. She loves it there and her grandma involves her in everything so it's all good.

HonoriaGlossop1 Mon 20-Jun-11 10:31:09

I really wouldn't worry about the maths yet. Don't forget that her developmental delay (I think you said it's about two years in a recent thread?) means that you're working at the level of a child of 4 who wouldn't even need to be in any form of education yet!

I think there is alot to be said for waiting until you think the child might be ready, and then waiting some more grin

Readiness is all when it comes to learning. My Ds unfortunately started school at only just four so has so far endured four years of daily grind when it comes to reading; he's dyslexic too. But has just started to really get reading - which I firmly believe he would have done just as much if they'd started him reading this year and let him just play the other years!!!!

You sould like you are doing a fab job with her. Well done you, I remember many of your posts and it is clear it hasn't be easy for you but that you are a LOVELY mum to her - she is a lucky girl.

StarChartEsq Mon 20-Jun-11 10:32:52

Numicon

mummyloveslucy Mon 20-Jun-11 19:26:32

Aaagh thank you. smile I try my best.

wordsmithsforever Mon 20-Jun-11 22:06:39

So glad you're feeling a bit better MLL. Your plans sound great and I like LauraIngallWilder's advice about the chill pill. Am going to take one myself. My DS is 7 and I also sometimes tie myself up in knots about what he might possibly be doing if he were in school. (I cleared out our loft the other day and found my DD's books from the same year and nearly passed out when I saw all the writing she'd done - got myself into a real tizz!) LIW is so right - they are little.

mummyloveslucy Tue 21-Jun-11 17:34:51

Thanks wordsmiths, I actually feel more positive havig a bit of a plan in place. At least that way, I know she's covering a bit of maths, english and speech every day. The rest of the day can be autonamous, but I feel better for having a bit of a safety net.

I try not to compare her to other children of her age if I can help it. It only stresses me out. I know she'll get there in her own time, she's such an amazing little charactor. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now