Talk

Advanced search

How difficult would it be to home educate my twin girls in year 7 for a couple of months?

(5 Posts)
sandyballs Thu 19-May-11 16:43:14

They are in year 5 at the moment at a lovely primary school and are doing very well and thoroughly enjoy it, so I've never had any reason to think about home ed before now.

The reason I am now doing so is that we are due to choose secondary schools this autumn and have a choice of two:

- a lovely thriving school about a mile from where we live which has a great reputation but unfortunately has approx 900 applicants per 200 places.

- a failing academy, about 3 miles from home, which they are trying to improve but I can't see much sign of this improvement as yet.

It is more than likely that we will get the academy to begin with, based on neighbours experiences - the academy are desperate to recruit local children. However, most of the children that got this academy last Sept eventually got a place in the 'good' school and moved within a couple of months, or maximum of a term.

So I'm seriously considering home educating them for that period if this is the case for us, rather than making them settle into a strange environment without anyone they know, for such a short time and having to move and settle them again.

I'd love to hear views on this please.

SDeuchars Thu 19-May-11 17:01:55

Not sure what you mean by "how difficult would it be". I think it'd be fine for them (but am not sure about the paperwork).

Jojay Thu 19-May-11 17:04:24

What will you do if they don't get into the school you want?

ZZZenAgain Fri 20-May-11 06:53:13

HEing two of the same age for a few months shouldn't be at all difficult as far as I can imagine, but could you manage longer term if the school place you are hoping for don't eventuate?

HSMM Mon 06-Jun-11 09:34:11

We stayed on a waiting list (number 5 on the list) for the Secondary school we wanted my DD to go to. She is nearing the end of Yr7 and still has not been offered a place. We have just received a letter telling us what to do if we want to keep her on the waiting list in Yr8. We did consider HE, but she chose to go to another Secondary School in the meantime.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to keep them at home until you get the place, just that you should be prepared to have them at home for more than a couple of months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now