Talk

Advanced search

Home Ed while waiting for a statement/moving schools

(3 Posts)
debs40again Wed 05-Jan-11 12:44:29

I have a 7 year old with Aspergers, Hypermobility and Sensory Processing Disorder.

We have gathered sufficient evidence to obtain a statement, although it is sort on provision particularly SALT.

My son's current school is pretty useless - very academically driven and it will be a battle to ensure the statement is respected. I am flexi-schooling at the moment because they are not supporting him.

We had a meeting with the LA this morning and we will be contesting certain aspects of the statement and we are considering moving schools - possibly over the border to another county.

Does anyone know whether it affects the statementing process if I fully home ed while waiting for us to choose schools, move and finalise the statement?

I just think DS needs a proper break.

milou2 Thu 06-Jan-11 14:45:27

How did the meeting go?

Sorry, I don't know about the statementing process.

Saracen Fri 07-Jan-11 11:28:52

Hi Debs!

I don't think the child's current educational setting should affect the statementing process. You do need to ensure that the LA don't assume that you've chosen to opt out of their provision for the long term out of choice, in which case they wouldn't need to proceed with the statement. So I'd suggest that when you deregister your son from school, you also write to the LA explaining that you are HEing as a temporary measure while waiting for them to make appropriate provision for him.

Your situation isn't unusual. You might like to join the HE-Special mailing list where there are a lot of helpful people. I'm sure they could confirm whether there are any issues to consider about HEing during the statementing process. http://he-special.org.uk/

Sara

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: