Talk

Advanced search

I'm thinking about home ed my SEN ds...........

(10 Posts)
devientadventenigma Wed 29-Dec-10 18:16:53

What do I need to know??
He is nearly 10yo, down syndrome, SLD, ASD, ADHD, OCD, ODD and SPD. We are in North Tyneside. HTH and TIA x

ommmward Wed 29-Dec-10 18:53:22

Welcome to the world through the looking glass :-)

Deregistering him is dead easy if he is in a mainstream school; if he is in a special school the process is slightly different. I'll bump up the thread about deregistering for you.

Expect a few months of decompression for both of you - rule of thumb is to allow a month of recovery time for every year spent in school. So that would mean doing nothing explicitly academic until Easter, basically - just spending time together and rebuilding his confidence. During that time, you may well find him losing some of his acronyms, or at the very least, presenting much less noticeable symptoms grin

julienoshoes Wed 29-Dec-10 20:47:36

agree with everything ommmward said.
I have three children all with SEN and definately noticed a diminsishing of some symptoms of SEN, when they had been out of school a little while-especially the ADHD and OCD.

also suggest joining the Home Ed Special Needs email support list

siblingrivalry Wed 29-Dec-10 20:51:17

Devient, I read your threads about your ds on the SN board and think this would be fantastic for your him.

I HEdded dd1 for a while, as she was desperately unhappy at school -I would still be doing it now but she decided to return to a new school.

Home Ed was the making if her. There will be some great advice on here -hope it helps. Good luck x

devientadventenigma Thu 30-Dec-10 01:22:04

thanks, never thought to add he's in special school. From September to December he spent most of his time at school.
My BIL and his wife came for a visit at Christmas and they were shocked at his progression/behaviour, for which I comment on the fact that he's hardly been to school, got me thinking.
However most of my family feel home ed isn't an option for me............he's too much hard work to have 24/7. I can see there point as I don't cope with him at times, so also trying to work out when I would get a break from him and how you also fit in the housework!!!
I agree sibling, I do think it's the right thing to do by ds, although my hubby feels he is going to become even more secluded, something my son craves x

ommmward Thu 30-Dec-10 08:58:28

well,

1) challenging children can be a lot less challenging to be with full time when you remove the principle source of stress from their life

2) you include themmmm in with the housework where possible, or just go out if you want to keep the house neat and tidy!

3) you get your OH primed to be "on shift" for a couple of hours whenever possible

4) i've read it on here before, and it mmmight be worth saying to your OH: a school can be the loneliest place in the world

ommmward Thu 30-Dec-10 09:00:07

you should join the HE-special mailing list here to ask about how you deregister your son from a special school

devientadventenigma Thu 30-Dec-10 11:05:45

what I meant to say sorry was from sept to dec he spent most of his time at home lol

devientadventenigma Thu 30-Dec-10 11:09:02

and I agree he is a little less challenging having not been to school.
Thanks for the link, will join soon, still mulling it all over in my mind x

milou2 Sat 01-Jan-11 00:08:45

I'm glad your relatives have noticed the changes in your son and that this has encouraged you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now