US grants home schooling German family political asylum

(10 Posts)
betelguese Sun 21-Nov-10 01:10:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SpringHeeledJack Sun 21-Nov-10 01:42:28

hmmmmm

<ponders>

I can't get past the photo, tbh

how did they get five kids? with books?? to sit at the table all at once???

shock

and if truth be told slightly envy

ommmward Sun 21-Nov-10 14:03:50

Ah, they promised them all chocolate buttons if they could sit with books for 2 minutes. It's the only possible answer.

Seriously, though, it's a bit of a landmark ruling. HE is illegal in Germany. It makes it more difficult for Germany to maintain that illiberal position, which will eventually have a knock on effect on EU attitudes towards HE. I don't know whether there was an EU agenda behind the Badman debacle, but I certainly heard plenty of conspiracy theories to that effect.

betelguese Sun 21-Nov-10 19:00:07

betelguese Sun 21-Nov-10 19:07:58

Decentdragon Tue 23-Nov-10 23:08:01

I don't know any more details, but for reasons best known to themselves, in late February the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement chose to formally appeal the Romeike ruling.

betelguese Fri 26-Nov-10 01:11:15

SpringHeeledJack Mon 29-Nov-10 23:11:33

have to say I'm uncomfortable with this case.

To quote the article: 'textbooks presented ideas and language that conflicted with their Christian beliefs, including slang terms for sex acts and images of vampires and witches, while the school offered what they described as ethics lessons from Islam, Buddhism and other religions. The eldest son got into fights in school and the eldest daughter had trouble studying.

"I think it's important for parents to have the freedom to chose the way their children can be taught," Romeike told the Associated Press.'

I do find this worrying as a home educator. It's all about the parents' POV. The bits they're objecting to seem to be mostly about teaching comparative religion, and sex ed. It appears- to me- as though they require total control over their children. Fair enough, you might say, that's better than the State supplying its own orthodoxy. But these children stand no chance of learning of other realities apart from that of their parents'.

The last line gives it away completely- "it's important for parents to have the freedom to chose the way their children can be taught"

how in the world are those children going to have the opportunity to learn anything their parents don't want them to learn? This is about control of children, not personal freedom, in my opinion.

betelguese Mon 29-Nov-10 23:26:48

SpringHeeledJack Mon 29-Nov-10 23:32:34

'The issue in HE is how we make our C independent learners'

couldn't agree more betelgeuse smile

and of course you're right, the other families might well be very different in their attitudes. Trouble is I think this family seem to fit the prejudiced stereotype a lot of people have about HE, which is unfortunate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now