Talk

Advanced search

If you've been HE for a while....

(8 Posts)
Rubimou Mon 15-Nov-10 18:58:09

....looking back is there anything you think you'd do differently if starting over again?

That's it in a nutshell really!

MOSP Mon 15-Nov-10 19:58:23

Not worry as much. Not get jittery if we have a completly unproducive day (or even string of days).

I'm still working on that

That's about it really.

(We've been doing it for 6 years, so I don't know if you count that as a 'long time')

streakybacon Tue 16-Nov-10 06:50:10

I'd have taken him out of school earlier. Two years here, wish it was longer.

NotAnotherBrick Tue 16-Nov-10 10:41:50

Nope smile

SDeuchars Tue 16-Nov-10 11:19:43

I agree with MOSP.

streakybacon Tue 16-Nov-10 11:33:48

I've been thinking about this some more.

Ds came out of school at beginning of Y5 and he was quite an emotional mess to begin with. I didn't feel, in his particular case, that unschooling would be be of use to him because he's poorly motivated at the best of times and I didn't want him to get the impression that HE was about lazing around and doing nothing smile, so we started work more or less straight away but at a very low level. I was also being mildly threatened by the LEA that I might get a call from Child Protection because of an answer I'd given on their supposedly optional questionnaire (long story) so I kind of felt obliged to be producing something.

The only concern I have now is that I didn't spend more time at the very beginning on developing his social and emotional skills (he has AS so is lacking in these areas). However, it could be that I needed two years to work out exactly where those problems lay and how to address them, which is why we're able to put so much more into them now. It might not have worked back then, who can say.

I guess what I'm saying is that you never know for sure (or I don't at least smile)if you're doing the right thing at the time. I may have made a mistake back then or it might have been exactly the right thing for the circumstances. My experience of HE has been one of peaks and troughs - one week I feel as if I'm getting everything right for ds and others I feel like I haven't a clue and am failing him miserably. But it seems to level out and overall he's doing brilliantly.

The bottom line is that I don't regret anything about home educating and how I've done it. If I have made mistakes I've learned from them and under the circumstances it's the right (indeed, only) option open to ds because of his needs and the support availability in our area. And for me personally, it's been the single most rewarding (if exhausting!) thing I've ever done and I've met some lovely people along the way.

julienoshoes Tue 16-Nov-10 12:14:08

10 years on and at the end of our home educating path:

'it's been the single most rewarding thing I've ever done and I've met some lovely people along the way.'

Agreed! Although I found sending three very unhappy children to school everyday, much more exhausting than HE has ever been.

We've had a ball, a lovely life together and a million times better than the life we had with their sibling when he went through teenage years at school.

The only thing I would change if I could start over, is that I would never have sent them to school!

Rubimou Tue 16-Nov-10 19:04:23

Thanks for all your replies, worrying is something I'm quite good at! smile

Streakybacon what you say makes alot of sense. I think that it's in my nature to plan and investigate all the pitfalls of a topic (moving house, changing job, now HE) to avoid making mistakes and convince myself I've made the right choice and won't have any regrets, but this is also clearly a flaw! You're right, you can only do your best at the time and you're learning all the time too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: