Talk

Advanced search

Roman blinds design with William Morris Bird&Pomegranate wallpaper

(12 Posts)
williammorris Sun 23-Aug-20 11:25:00

Any interior design gurus who can help??

I'm going to make or buy a Roman blind for a guest bedroom-come-office which has one wall in William Morris bird & pomegranate paper, the other walls are all in a pale heritage cream. It's a big window-the blind will be about 250cm wide when finished, lined in blackout fabric.

It's a 1970s standard brick house and the room was the original master bedroom, so quite big, and faces north-east.

The flooring is neutral with the original wooden boards which are sanded and varnished.

There's an image of the wallpaper in a bedroom setting (not our house, obviously), here:
images.app.goo.gl/wBDUnFLcpUWi4hvq9

I've attached a pic of the fabrics - the blind will definitely be in the pale green, but I'm toying with the idea of giving it some texture by edging it with the gold fabric as a contrast, which ties in with the colour of the 'branches' in the wallpaper.
Here's a Roman blind with a contrasting border i.pinimg.com/originals/ca/ab/7a/caab7a1d42bf33c32330d65d109767a7.jpg - but bear in mind my window is much, much bigger - so the main fabric will be the green one.

What do you reckon? Yay or nay to the border? (I'd make some cushions from the gold fabric if I don't use it as a border).

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
NotJustACigar Sun 23-Aug-20 11:27:10

I think it will be lovely and the border definitely adds something to the overall look. Go for it!

PurBal Sun 23-Aug-20 11:34:13

Lovely

Dandeliondrops Sun 23-Aug-20 11:35:32

Beautiful colours.

The example you give is very particular to try he rectangle shape of the window and the border is the dominant colour. Yours won't be like that and possibly doesn't need a border. But will look stunning either way.

williammorris Sun 23-Aug-20 11:35:44

Thank you @NotJustACigar

I think so, my family are trying to put me off by saying it would be too much, but my gut instinct is it would look a bit more interesting with a border, and the window is wide enough so it wouldn't be overwhelming.

williammorris Sun 23-Aug-20 11:48:28

(and thanks for the other comments too, aren't families great for making you doubt yourself?)

BasiliskStare Sun 23-Aug-20 14:33:13

I would say yes to the border definitely. It will look less like another piece of wallpaper hanging in front of the window

250 cm is very wide. I am sure you have thought of this but just make sure the fixings to the wall / frame are very very robust and you get the studies possible pulling mechanism drawing up strings or enough of them as it will be very heavy ( I have had smaller blinds fall down because of wimpy fixings. )

But I think it will look lovely.

williammorris Sun 23-Aug-20 18:48:07

Thank you @basiliskstare. Yes, it is very wide and that's great advice.

BasiliskStare Sun 23-Aug-20 20:33:05

I meant sturdiest fixing not studies ! Mine was 180 cm wide but floor length - really quite heavy , but it worked. I had the metal pulley not the strings & I guess somewhere out there is guidance on how many draw strings you need per unit of width 2 & I would not stint on the sturdiness of those either - but I think it will look lovely and if it were me I would have the border definitely. I don't envy you matching the pattern though, if you make it yourself , as I am guessing you will need at least two drops. grin I have two rooms with roman blinds with borders and I think the border looks very smart

All best

williammorris Sun 23-Aug-20 20:36:43

Thanks, I understood what you meant!

I've never made them before, although I'm an experienced sewer and DH is very handy.

I reckon if I take it slowly enough, measure twice and cut once it'll be fine, I have a very good book to follow!

StillNumb Mon 24-Aug-20 06:26:32

williammorris

Thanks, I understood what you meant!

I've never made them before, although I'm an experienced sewer and DH is very handy.

I reckon if I take it slowly enough, measure twice and cut once it'll be fine, I have a very good book to follow!

This is a good tutorial www.mydecozo.co.uk/articles/129332-how-to-make-roman-blinds-roman-shades-video-instructions-howto-style

williammorris Tue 25-Aug-20 06:51:06

Thank you ☺️

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in