Talk

Advanced search

Wallpapering with old maps

(4 Posts)
TerfTerfTerf Sat 22-Aug-20 13:56:05

Has anyone done this?
I'd like to paper a wall in my study about 2m high x 1.5m wide and I've got loads of old maps which I thought would be fun to look at. I've googled and found people who have just stuck a whole map on the wall and others who decoupaged with lots of pieces.

My other question is about removing it if I get bored with it! Is there a cunning way of putting something removable on the wall and sticking the maps to that instead? I don't want it to look like lots of pictures hung up.

Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
HPandTheNeverEndingBedtime Sat 22-Aug-20 13:58:09

Could you get some ply board or maybe some Cork boards attached together and make a false wall and stick the maps on that and screw it to the wall. I'd be a bit concerned of the maps fading particularly if the wall is opposite a window.

TerfTerfTerf Sat 22-Aug-20 14:59:39

Ooh that's a good idea! Plywood or hardboard would be fine to glue on to. Wall is at 90° to north-facing window, but thanks for reminding me about pics fading (I will be decorating the other walls too!)

OP’s posts: |
PubicMenace Sat 22-Aug-20 15:03:22

Love the idea! I would just wallpaper the wall and paste the maps on top so removing would be the same as stripping any wall. You could cover it with a thin pva to protect the maps.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in