Talk

Advanced search

Please help me get my room not looking crap

(95 Posts)
decoratingdunce Mon 08-Jun-20 07:59:53

I hate my house. I want to decorate my bedroom to try to make myself feel better about it. The problem I have is that I feel it won't look finished. I have to buy a pair of curtains and I think the curtains will look all wrong. The room is very small and north facing.

I have a white wooden bed frame and white bedside tables. I want to paint the room white, not sure which white exactly. I want to paint the wall behind the bed in a sort of wedgewood blue. Is that a feature wall? I know they are meant to be awful but the room is too small to be all one colour. Plus I have wanted to decorate the one wall blue since before I moved in which was years ago so I am stuck in the past.

I had a white room with just an aqua fake raw silk curtain in a previous house and it looked so rubbish with this stupid cheap curtain hanging there. My current budget will only extend to a cheap curtain.

I spend all my time in the room and it is so dark and horrible. There is also a horrible melted spotlight thing on the ceiling which I can't change.

There's a horrible stained beige nylon carpet that I can't change.

I don't like anything patterned.

I would like a blackout curtain because I don't sleep. I don't want tie backs. Do you need tie backs? I wouldn't use the tie backs so they would just hang there.

It's the choosing a curtain that is stopping me doing this. There are so many horrible things about the room that I can't change so I know the overall effect won't be very good. I want a curtain that drapes well but I can't imagine anything that's not a horrible sticky out curtain.

I have a white wooden curtain pole that I bought before I moved in but I don't need to use that. I could get another one.

I feel so stupid asking this. Please can anyone help me make my room look less awful?

OP’s posts: |
BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Mon 08-Jun-20 08:02:17

If you want one wall blue then you paint that one wall blue. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Ikea do decent lined curtains cheap. We have them, and no tie backs. I don't like tie backs.

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Mon 08-Jun-20 08:03:28

www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/bengta-block-out-curtain-1-length-blue-50454456/

What about this with your blue wall?

WhoWouldHaveThoughtThat Mon 08-Jun-20 08:05:29

A photo or two would help people visualise it.

Would roller blinds work at the window (blackout type from Ikea are inexpensive) ?

Malotkins Mon 08-Jun-20 08:05:42

If your bedroom is north facing you need to choose the colour very carefully as it particularly if you want white. You need a warm colour.

fuzzymoon Mon 08-Jun-20 08:06:24

I agree with you. Tiebacks look awful.

Buy the curtains first then match the blue to them.

Go on Pinterest and put in blue and white bedrooms. Screenshot pictures that you like.

Then go on websites looking at curtains and throws.

How about white duvet and blue cushions and throws.

A rug on the floor would help hide the carpet.

Get lots of ideas and build it up to be the bedroom you want.

decoratingdunce Mon 08-Jun-20 08:08:27

Thank you.
This is the sort of blue I am looking at. I obviously can't get to a shop at the moment so it might not be the exact one.

www.dulux.co.uk/en/colour-details/blue-babe

I'm thinking maybe I need to choose the curtain first?

hopeishere Mon 08-Jun-20 08:10:07

What about blinds? Done blind places are not too expensive plus you can get blackout ones.

What about a massive ring to cover the carpet?

Get done tester pits and have fun!

weepingwillow22 Mon 08-Jun-20 08:10:23

Have a look on houzz for some inspiration. I think a dark wall behind the bed can look nice.
Check out this photo from Houzz -https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/little-venice-apartment-eclectic-bedroom-london-phvw-vp~63566716
Have you considered roman blinds with a black out lining. They can make a small room seem bigger as they are less fussy than curtains. If you mount them above the window they don't block any light and make the window seem bigger.

NekoShiro Mon 08-Jun-20 08:11:31

I second going on Pinterest, might as well make an account and pin things you like to a baord you create, otherwise the website gets shirty with you for not having an account. You could Google the different types of curtain materials if you're unsure on what curtains to get, I waaanted blackout but all I could find online for a reasonable price were £30 plastic looking ones from amazon, I ended up going on ebay and getting huge velvet ones for £40, apparently bought for £120 at dunelm, not the perfect colour but definitely worth the hunt on ebay.

Studycast Mon 08-Jun-20 08:13:01

Well done for making a change!

There are so many different shades of blue it's difficult to make suggestions but Laura Ashley is having a 50% off clearance sale ATM. Lots of duck egg! They also sell black out fabric and ready made curtains/blinds.

Also, curtain poles are expensive. You can paint or stain a wooden one yourself if white doesn't look right when you put it up.

Finally, don't forget lighting. Get a lovely bedside lamp so you don't need to have the ugly spotlight on. Even some cheap battery-run fairy lights strategically placed (can be taped under shelves or hidden on top of wardrobes if too twee) can change the ambiance of the room.

Handsnotwands Mon 08-Jun-20 08:14:23

Floaty sheer white curtains would look nice in a white and blue room. With a black out roller blind to keep out the morning light

Ikea and dunelm are great for curtain, poles and blinds and Maybe a rug of the carpet is horrid

decoratingdunce Mon 08-Jun-20 08:17:32

I don't have a normal depth window recess so I can only put a roller blind above the window which would look wrong. The windows also have a surround of wood, like a door frame. There's no actual window sill.

Yes blue might be cold but the whole room is currently dark brown woodchip except of the one wall I am going to paint blue which is dark brown smooth. I am going to have to paint over the paper. The walls are unsealed plasterboard underneath so if I strip the paper I am taking off chunks of wall and I definitely can't afford any remedial work on that. The dark brown is making me depressed and all I can think about is white and bright. I might feel very different when it is done

decoratingdunce Mon 08-Jun-20 08:19:03

I can always use the curtain pole in another room because all the windows are the same size.

Studycast Mon 08-Jun-20 08:19:09

X posts!

Sorry, see you have posted blue shade now.

Yes, its a good idea to start with curtain fabric and match wall co!our to that. Or vice versa.

And make yourself a mood board on a piece of old cardboard, it doesn't have to be perfect, but you need a clear idea of where you are heading. Minimalist modern, or calming chic or what?

Also, wrt floor, have you looked under the carpet? Are there floorboards you could sand and restore?

CrotchetyQuaver Mon 08-Jun-20 08:22:16

Using blue on a wall in a north facing room is likely to make it feel cold and bleak, you will need to choose the colour very carefully or maybe choose a warmer colour instead?

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Mon 08-Jun-20 08:23:13

I think even just painting the whole room white will help lift your mood. Looking at all that brown paint can't help if you aren't a fan of brown

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 08-Jun-20 08:24:49

Do you know anyone with a carpet washing machine?. A clean carpet looks better straight away.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 08-Jun-20 08:28:45

Also the sales will start soon, curtains get heavily discounted.

decoratingdunce Mon 08-Jun-20 08:30:07

I'm definitely open to a colour that isn't blue but I've no imagination. I bought the bed before I moved in with blue in mind so I've been fixed on it since then.

There's definitely no nice floorboards. Former council house. The room is so small I could easily get a good wool carpet in an offcut but it is moving the furniture that would be impossible for me. The advantage of the room being small is that only narrow strips of carpet can be seen.

HouseOfEdwards Mon 08-Jun-20 08:30:24

Do you want full length curtains or sill length? Is the radiator under the window?

I like the blue you've chosen.

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Mon 08-Jun-20 08:32:25

I also like the blue you've chosen

decoratingdunce Mon 08-Jun-20 08:37:14

There's no radiator. I think I want short curtains because there is only the width of the bedside table between the bed and the window so I might stand on full length. The window is an unusual size I think. 2 m wide by just over 1 m deep. I think that adds to my worry about the curtain looking strange.

HouseOfEdwards Mon 08-Jun-20 08:37:45

www.dunelm.com/product/vermont-navy-eyelet-curtains-1000129646?colour=Navy&curtainsSize=W+117cm+%2846%26quot%3B%29+x+D+137cm+%2854%26quot%3B%29&defaultSkuId=30650478

I’ve got these curtains from dunelm. They look nicer in real life. They look expensive and are black out.

decoratingdunce Mon 08-Jun-20 08:39:55

The carpet has been washed but the stains are rusty like a radiator has leaked and didn't come off. Yet there is no radiator.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in