Talk

Advanced search

My kitchen needs .... something?!

(50 Posts)
MaraScottie Sat 18-Jan-20 20:48:02

Hi,
Lucky enough to have a new build house which we've been in 1.5 years. Never been completely happy with my choice of kitchen colour and along with the wall colour, I feel it's a bit drab or flat.

What would you suggest I do with this to give it a lift? Tiles? Paint? Have been thinking of a geometric tiled splashback but I'm not brave with my decor (as you can probably tell!) so some advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
fastliving Sun 19-Jan-20 09:38:46

I agree your wall colour would brighten up the place, and maybe the rugs could be more colourful.
I think the wall with the long shelves could easily be painted a nice colour and that would help?

Have a look on Instagram for colour ideas

TiddleTaddleTat Sun 19-Jan-20 09:46:09

That's a lovely kitchen! If you're not too confident on colour you get some samples of paint for the walls - that would be the easiest and least permanent change. Usually kitchens are kept fairly neutral but an energising colour like a bright green , blue or yellow could work if you're feeling bold?
Pinterest!

Brianna83 Sun 19-Jan-20 10:03:02

I like the little splash of teal in the print behind the sink. What about tiles or a painted wall in the same colour?

minipie Sun 19-Jan-20 10:57:53

Coloured accessories can do an awful lot to change the feel of a space. Why not try that first - I agree I really like the emerald green of the print and would pick that up elsewhere - maybe some brighter green indoor plants on the shelves (herbs?), and change the rug for a brighter one with green in it.

If you need more, you could have a green tiled splashback or even white tiles with green grout (gives a geometric effect but easier to change if you go off it).

MaraScottie Sun 19-Jan-20 14:08:49

Thanks all for the suggestions 😊

These are the types of tiles I had in mind, but afraid they'd stand out like a sore thumb!

I've a lot of accessories at the moment, a lot of patterns and some gold bits but they're sort of lost as the kitchen is fairly big.

Definitely going to look into the rug idea, agree it's all a bit too muted blush

picklemepopcorn Sun 19-Jan-20 14:16:24

On the wall with the shelves and sink you could put a lovely deep coloured teal. Use a washable paint. If you love it, you could have a glass splashback made. It's a single sheet of glass, and gives a really deep finish without any fussiness. It would look great.

Palavah Sun 19-Jan-20 14:31:43

I'm going to slightly agree/slightly disagree - I can see that you have some brightly-coloured items already, and the rugs in grey/white but none of them is big/impactful enough and they're not consistent enough in colour palette to have enough of a collective impact.

You could achieve an accent 'lift' without painting tiling or splashback and streamlining the accessories but having one or two or three bigger ones - longer rug, bigger plant, bigger frames print on the wall, make more of the colourful mugs etc.
At the moment the stuff on your grey shelves just looks a bit untidy.

4amWitchingHour Sun 19-Jan-20 14:39:40

Ooh I like those tiles! They would definitely work - the teal rather than the grey though (or some other bright colour)

Ignore the person who said your shelves are untidy. 1 - they're not; 2 - it's a home, not a show house

MaraScottie Sun 19-Jan-20 14:41:18

Thanks guys.

Palavah, I agree. Shelves are actually used for mugs, wine glasses, bowls etc that are used regularly. Perhaps I need to rethink this so they're not so cluttered.

I may look to replace the print over the hob with something bigger and more impactful too. Any suggestions? smile I love graphic prints!!

MaraScottie Sun 19-Jan-20 14:41:50

LOL 4am

buckeejit Sun 19-Jan-20 20:55:54

You could hang the wine glasses to look more structured if you wanted to. Pick a colour, get testers & paint a large page or back of roll of wallpaper & stick it up for a while. You could even paint the shelves another colour - or cover them in the tester paper to see if you like it.

I love your kitchen, think it's gorgeous. I bought an enormous tree root fruit bowl for our kitchen & fruit is an ornament in it! Burnt orange would be very nice with a bit more emerald green. If you could fit in a cheese plant somewhere it would look great. Keep us updated!

Toomanycats99 Sun 19-Jan-20 21:08:13

If you look on diy on a budget for inspiration someone's just gone for the pink glitter fablon and diamanté knob look/ it's.........different!

MaraScottie Sun 19-Jan-20 22:36:45

I've actually only ordered two cheese plants from Groupon last night, will try fit one in somewhere with a nice bright pot smile

Great idea about hanging the glasses!

buckeejit Mon 20-Jan-20 16:25:25

Super! I spent ages trying to arrange my couple of small kitchen shelves to please my eye but also be useful. Cups on hooks below work too. Will take a pic of mine later when home if you're interested. It's not remotely exciting but I like it!

Fanniesyeraunt Mon 20-Jan-20 16:29:52

Yes to painting one or all walls blue. I’ve just painted my whole kitchen in stiffkey blue by f&b and I love it - it looks so much better and makes the room cosier. My kitchen has a lot of natural light though. Also get some large prints in black frames on the wall - either colourful or black and white would look good. Agree tiles behind splash back would look good.

BaronessBomburst Mon 20-Jan-20 16:31:55

I would paint the side wall where the window is. Something bright.
Or paper with a geometric print.
The wall with the shelving is already too busy.

sevencontinents Mon 20-Jan-20 22:20:45

I actuly think your rugs are a nice pattern and colour and agree that teal on the shelf wall would look amazing with them.

sarahc336 Tue 21-Jan-20 01:05:20

Those tile ideas would both look really nice. I think it's a nice kitchen x

Boringista Tue 21-Jan-20 01:19:19

You need more colour. Can you add a coloured glass splash back or tiles? Failing that paint the walks in a contrasting colour (pale teal / blue) and add colours via artwork & accessories.

Boringista Tue 21-Jan-20 01:20:40

Just seen that others have also suggested blue! Had not read thread... The tiles upthread are a great colour smile

buckeejit Tue 21-Jan-20 07:49:06

Here's my little shelves - cluttered but still a bit structured, maybe like me! Our kitchen is cream but the worktops are a sort of colourful cream/brown granite so there's enough interest.

Definitely pick an accent colour of 2 & go with it. The greenery of the plants will look good - living things lift any space imo. Also if you use a little mayonnaise occasionally to polish the cheese plant leaves, it makes them really glossy!

UnbeatableDave Wed 22-Jan-20 10:01:35

Hi @MaraScottie
Totally agree with @BaronessBomburst about the geometric print, but I would also get a geometric print blind. We got a Geometric blind for the kitchen which is also waterproof (handy for the kitchen) decent quality, quite cheap, easily installed from www.unbeatableblinds.co.uk. Defo worth a look

youngestisapsycho Wed 22-Jan-20 10:16:20

I agree with Baroness, the wall with shelves is busy enough... I would paint the window wall.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Wed 22-Jan-20 10:19:22

I think it's gorgeous and now have kitchen envy. envy And nothing useful to add! blush

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in