Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy some gorgeous ceiling light shades for the bedroom and landing? Any suggestions welcome.

(16 Posts)
Threedaysaweek2019 Thu 24-Oct-19 10:32:16

Please can anybody help? I am in need of some ceiling light shades for the bedrooms and the landing, preferably ones that don’t take away any light.

Currently we have the paper lantern type (though not on the landing).
Bad move obviously as paper collects dust....

Any ideas welcome 💐. The above are going in the bin today, I’ve had enough.....

OP’s posts: |
Threedaysaweek2019 Thu 24-Oct-19 10:34:03

*that don’t take away any light, as in not creating large shadows on the walls.

7to25 Thu 24-Oct-19 12:28:32

Made?
Laura Ashley?

GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat Fri 25-Oct-19 23:11:53

IKEA? The Nymo ones are drum style with a copper/gold lining and throw light patterns through the cut outs. They come in various widths and colours.
Be careful with other IKEA shades as very few of them are "easy fit" and require an electrician even though they look straightforward.

I quite like glass/crystal type shades for the hall and landing as they seem more architectural and give off more light. I currently have some cheap and cheerful crystal droplet styles ones from Dunelm. They were about £15 each. Dunelm has masses of choice whatever your style.

Asda George actually has the odd gem - their homewares buyer has some style! You can order online with free click and collect to store.

Wilko and The Range have lots on display as do Homebase and B&Q.

I read rattan/ wicker ones are coming back into fashion.

GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat Fri 25-Oct-19 23:20:02

This is the Dunelm style I have in my tiny walled-in hall and landing. I think they had 30% off when I bought them. B&M had an identical style for about £12:

pineapple

I was trying to decide between that and the smaller clear Blenheim shade (also easy fit) which had excellent reviews.

My latest purchase has been a couple of Theana shades from The Range for a bargain £5.99 shock
I had an electrician change the ceiling fittings for copper ones and imo they look stunning! The shades themselves are easy fit but take a while to build - they're fiddly/ repetitive grin

GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat Fri 25-Oct-19 23:22:17

Theana shade:
here

I have the Knappa shade from IKEA downstairs, also a DIY build! For some reason that one isn't easy fit but I couldn't tell you why.

ANiceLuxury Fri 25-Oct-19 23:23:27

I prefer proper light fittings rather than shades. I get mine from

Pagazzi
Next

Bluesheep8 Sat 26-Oct-19 08:29:33

This is the Blenheim one from Dunelm. I have one at either end of the hall, one in the lounge and two smaller ones on the landing. Can you tell I like it rather a lot? Always gets compliments and not very ££ at all.

TiddleTaddleTat Sat 26-Oct-19 08:51:13

Habitat
John Lewis

I'm doing the same and waiting for the next sale

GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat Sat 26-Oct-19 12:20:36

I think it was you who recommended me the Blenheim one Blue

I might swap my IKEA Knappa in the living room for the large Blenheim this winter for a change smile

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Sat 26-Oct-19 12:27:45

John Lewis
Cox & Cox
Made

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Sat 26-Oct-19 12:30:32

Our came from bhs online and was really reasonable.

Threedaysaweek2019 Sat 26-Oct-19 12:39:22

@GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat, I think the pineapple shade would look great for the landing. Some other nice ones for the bedroom at Dunelm.
I’m going to take a look later, thank you.

GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat Sat 26-Oct-19 13:01:55

Excellent! I don't like to spend a lot on lampshades if I can help it hence my high street suggestions grin
Good luck!

The Blenheim shade at Dunelm comes in small and large (clear or smoked effect). I went for the simpler Pineapple shade in the end as I have virtually no hall or landing (midterrace) and it's all walled in. I liked the simplicity (and the sparkle) of the pineapple one. If I had more room I might've tried the Blenheim style but it felt a bit intricate for my boring space grin

Dunelm are great at returns if you retain your receipt and packaging. I recommend buying a few different styles and trying them out as it's hard to envisage them in your own space. Some of my favourites released too little light so they went straight back.

GarethSouthgatesWaistcoat Sat 26-Oct-19 13:09:09

Wilko have a similar pineapple one for £15:

here

Bluesheep8 Sat 26-Oct-19 17:19:21

"Garethsouthgateswaistcoat* yes it was me! I remember that thread...

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in