Talk

Advanced search

Top Surface of Wardrobe - what should it look like?

(13 Posts)
BigDipperMama Wed 23-Oct-19 14:34:39

Spent ages looking for the right-sized wardrobe for my ds. Nice to have his clothes neat inside now, but I'm disappointed with the top. The rest of the wardrobe is mostly solid wood but the top is thin and looks like this (see pic). I can't decide if it has a component missing, or if this is just what tops of wardrobes look like? I thought I could stack his board games up there, but too flimsy for that, also would get really mucky surely? Just wondering if I should complain or am I just clueless about wardrobes? It wasn't that cheap either.

OP’s posts: |
Seeingadistance Thu 24-Oct-19 15:53:12

I’d expect a wardrobe to have a solid, properly finished top. I’ve never seen one like yours.

Cohle Thu 24-Oct-19 15:55:17

Yes, the ikea ones in my kids' rooms all have a properly finished top that looks attractive enough and you can store stuff on. I'd definitely query it/complain in your shoes.

MiaFarrowsWheelbarrow Thu 24-Oct-19 16:02:32

Was it flat pack? Has it been assembled correctly?

Disfordarkchocolate Thu 24-Oct-19 16:05:27

I've never seen a wardrobe top like that, they have all be solid.

averylongtimeago Thu 24-Oct-19 16:07:49

Sometimes the top isn't painted or varnished as well, but every one I have seen has a solid top, because everyone stores stuff on top of them!

BigDipperMama Thu 24-Oct-19 16:38:09

Thanks for your comments. I had never seen a top like this either. I did wonder if we had put it together wrongly, and queried with manufacturer, but they have replied nope, it's supposed to like that. Really irritated as it means I can't use the top and I feel like I soent a load of money on an incomplete piece of furniture, grrrrr... Their ads still all over my feed, see attached, the wardrobe is the one top left.

Disfordarkchocolate Thu 24-Oct-19 16:56:09

That's very annoying. What dos their description of the wardrobe say? Is it misleading?

Cohle Thu 24-Oct-19 17:33:00

I'd had a look at their website and they don't seem to make any mention at all of the top being unfinished nor is it photographed. I think it's pretty misleading.

I'd kick up a fuss on twitter perhaps or just return it.

Letthemysterybe Thu 24-Oct-19 20:54:22

That’s pretty disappointing. I think it’s fairly reasonable to expect a solid top. I’d leave an unfavourable review at the very least!

goingtotown Sat 26-Oct-19 08:44:48

That’s not acceptable. Ask them to send you the top or you will return it.

BigDipperMama Sat 26-Oct-19 10:46:29

Thanks for all your comments, made me pursue this, I really thought I might just have the wrong idea about tops of wardrobes, this company made me feel that way when I first enquired. Some back and forth and they have now finally offered a refund. Going to be a pain unpacking all ds' clothes, dismantling, arranging collection, but the alternative would be to stand on his bed every week, hoovering the inside of the top of his wardrobe, eek, what fresh hell this would be?! I still don't understand that so many other customers must have just accepted such an incomplete piece of furniture, nothing in the reviews, which I checked before buying, very strange! They say they will now be "clearer" in their description.

goingtotown Sat 26-Oct-19 13:16:59

Probably not genuine reviews. I wouldn’t expect anyone to accept a wardrobe without a top.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in