Advanced search

How to stop door handles banging against walls?

(11 Posts)
Sunandsnow Sun 01-Sep-19 22:44:55

When the doors in my flat are open, the door handles tend to bang against the walls and make marks on them, and the one in the bathroom has marked the radiator. I’m not a fan of these door stopper things for walls:
I find them rather ugly. I’m wondering whether nice ones exist, or whether there is some other solution? Very grateful for any ideas!

OP’s posts: |
EskewedBeef Sun 01-Sep-19 22:47:27

Put any door stop behind there. A wooden wedge, one of those fabric weighted ones, a ball of rope...

OneEpisode Sun 01-Sep-19 22:48:06

You could make your own to suit your decor? At its simplest a piece of wood on the floor.. paint as required?

Sunandsnow Sun 01-Sep-19 22:48:52

The hooded one is nicer than the stick ones, but I’m still not ultra keen. Don’t know whether they look better in practice than I think they would?!

OP’s posts: |
Sunandsnow Sun 01-Sep-19 22:50:35

Sorry, cross-posted. Those are good ideas - thank you! If anyone has a photo that they wouldn’t mind sharing of how they’ve solved this problem, I’d be really grateful to see it!

OP’s posts: |
swanningpond Sun 01-Sep-19 22:56:21

Have you seen the little round felt pads you can get in any diy shop? They'll be near the doorstops and furniture feet.

They stick on the knob - they are Beige in colour so bled in better with brass but they do the trick.

swanningpond Sun 01-Sep-19 22:58:15

Mightn't work if you have handles though? You can put a restrictor (if that's what the term is?) in the door jam, this will wedge the door open at a certain degree so the wind won't move them.

minipie Sun 01-Sep-19 23:00:08

You might prefer this style?

Although this and other floor mounted styles aren’t a good idea if you have under floor heating.

Sunandsnow Sun 01-Sep-19 23:08:20

The restrictor sounds a great idea! I will look into that!

OP’s posts: |
Sunandsnow Sun 01-Sep-19 23:11:14

Just realized I misread your post and slightly misunderstood what the restrictor does - I initially read it as something that prevents a door opening more than a certain amount, but doesn’t prevent it from closing. I wonder whether such things exist?!

OP’s posts: |
minipie Mon 02-Sep-19 14:04:06

Yes, they’re called door stops grin

Honestly every house I see has them. Or bashes in the wall.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in