Talk

Advanced search

Paint to match this paper?

(7 Posts)
theatrenerd31 Wed 08-May-19 23:08:26

Moving house soon and DS(6) wants a space bedroom, but I'm not a fan of dark rooms. He's chosen this wallpaper, which true to form is very dark!

Would I get away with pairing it with a lighter blue maybe? Or a light grey? I'm not sure where to go with it but don't want it looking too much like a cave - especially as he has ASD and objects to opening curtains! His furniture is all white which will help slightly. Hoping to avoid white walls as worried about them being cold and showing any and all marks really easily, but it's the back up option if I can't find another solution! Spent ages in b&q and couldn't get any of the cards to look right when put beside the paper...

So, ideas? What would you pair it with if one wall was in this paper?

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
PlanBea Thu 09-May-19 00:02:28

How white are the constellations? If they're a bit on the grey side a light grey cold be lovely. I think the blue might be a challenge to get the right tone.

Thinking outside the box, could you wallpaper the ceiling with that? I don't know if wallpapering a ceiling is a thing but for the stars it would look fab!

Pieceofpurplesky Thu 09-May-19 00:04:40

Silver paint!

skankingpiglet Thu 09-May-19 00:09:28

I really like PlanBea 's idea of just papering the ceiling. It can definitely be done, although it is more usual to do it with lining paper (to hide cracks and bumps). You could pick any colour for the walls then. A pale grey would be a safe (and calming) option, although I'd be tempted for something like a bright primary yellow as it's a kid's room which would contrast really nicely with the black of the paper. Or two yellow and two pale grey walls if you were feeling less brave?

theatrenerd31 Thu 09-May-19 09:45:02

It's a sort of navy and white, there's no grey in the constellations at all. Would a light grey still work? I've tried to get a picture but it's not quite true to colour!

Im not sure we'd get away with the ceiling, it's artexed and the house is rented (but landlord is happy for us to decorate as long as it goes back at the end of the tenancy). I love the idea though!

OP’s posts: |
keepingbees Thu 09-May-19 09:49:44

My son has one wall a very similar colour. We teamed it with Dulux Polished Pebble which is a pale grey and it works fine

Hecateh Thu 09-May-19 10:08:56

A silvery grey would be my choice, Make it look like bright moonlight.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in