Talk

Advanced search

Vintage bedroom, what changes do I need to pull it together?

(21 Posts)
KetchupOnRoastDinner Wed 24-Apr-19 16:55:05

I didn’t start off with the intention of putting together a 20s inspired room, but have realised that the palette I like is from that era (ish!).

I’ve put some photos below, can you see anything glaring that could be done to make everything look better, without the room tipping into ‘fortune teller’s parlour’?

Things that I like: the (new) wall paint colour, the ceiling lampshade (delivered today!) and the bedside lamp.

The bedside table is in poor condition, but could be repaired and redecorated, or replaced. Not fussed either way, but I do like the grey colour against the green wall/gold accessories.

Now that the walls have been redecorated, I think the woodwork needs changing from the current colour, but not sure to what; I think going grey or very dark green would be the obvious choice, but I can’t picture it. It’s a south west facing room.

I hate the wardrobe and tall boy and want to replace them anyway. I also hate the carpet, but it it still has a good 5 years’ wear left.

The bed frame is still in good condition and the colours I’m trying to link through, are the grey, green and gold, with a couple of pink accessories, the lampshade being one.

There’s more artwork to go on the walls as soon as it comes back from the framer’s.

OP’s posts: |
DarlingCoffee Wed 24-Apr-19 18:24:35

Vintage mirror perhaps a french one?

DarlingCoffee Wed 24-Apr-19 18:25:48

Maybe pale pink walls?

borntobequiet Wed 24-Apr-19 18:32:12

I had something similar (wall colour very like) and used my parents’ bedroom suite - large and small wardrobes and dressing table in dark walnut, bought second hand by them in the early 1950s. Those and framed watercolours (floral and landscape) from the era on the walls (display very well on the green).

LittleLongDog Wed 24-Apr-19 18:35:14

The artwork above the bedside table is too small for the space (and not central). A vintage mirror and some artwork/prints would help make the room look finished.

CorporeSarnie Wed 24-Apr-19 18:35:57

I think the ceiling colour is very stark against the green, a pale cream colour would pull the room together and reduce the contrast.

GlossyTaco Wed 24-Apr-19 18:37:38

A quilt rather than a duvet possibly.

CorporeSarnie Wed 24-Apr-19 18:37:52

I'd also go off-white for the woodwork, and I agree a larger mirror or print in a dark wood frame would help

GlossyTaco Wed 24-Apr-19 18:39:23

A rug that is era appropriate?

Bluesheep8 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:03:16

I'd suggest changing the very modern wardrobe for a smaller one on legs? Possibly with a drawer at the bottom.

KetchupOnRoastDinner Wed 24-Apr-19 19:22:39

Great observations and suggestions here, thank you.

I already had an Art Deco mirror on my list for either above the bed head or by the wardrobe, I think softening up the ceiling and woodwork is a very good call, thanks.

I’m torn about what colour to get for new wardrobe etc., everything I’ve seen online so far is either really bland, or tips into French-style. I think I may have to trawl second hand shops.

RubberTreePlant Wed 24-Apr-19 19:24:53

Search "bedroom suite" in "antique furniture" on EBay. Some bargains to be had.

RubberTreePlant Wed 24-Apr-19 19:26:16

For example, this would be lovely once painted:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Art-Deco-3-Piece-Bedroom-Suite-Antique-/323769718158

RubberTreePlant Wed 24-Apr-19 19:28:17

Or this, just as it is;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1950s-dressing-table-Gents-Wardrobe-Double-Wardrobe-bedroom-suite/113698838794?hash=item1a78fa990a:g:0KgAAOSw7gdcmngg

borntobequiet Wed 24-Apr-19 19:28:35

Don’t paint! Polish.

TeacupDrama Wed 24-Apr-19 19:33:33

art deco walnut wardrobes are currently stuck in brown furniture category you could pick up at an auction for £20-40 however when buying at auction you need to take it away the day of the sale or within about 2-3 days max

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Art-Deco-Gentlemans-Wardrobe-Walnut-Veneer-excellent-condition/264288837225?hash=item3d88d79e69:g:G0AAAOSwG4pcuIID&frcectupt=true

RubberTreePlant Wed 24-Apr-19 19:33:56

It depends how deep those scratches are I think @borntobequiet (?)

RubberTreePlant Wed 24-Apr-19 19:43:09

The good thing about old wardrobes is you can put old leather suitcases or hat boxes on top.

Ornate picture frames for personal pictures?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B073P6KQBB/ref=oxscc_actimagee_20?smid=A9XLT8I64HDNV&psc=1&th=1

Hat stand?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baosity-Vintage-Freestanding-Holder-Display/dp/B078Y8XZPD/ref=mpss_a11_32?keywords=hat+box&qid=1556130805&s=gateway&sr=8-32

borntobequiet Wed 24-Apr-19 19:53:16

Too scratched, don’t buy. Plenty of near pristine stuff still available at good prices.

franklymydearidontgivea Wed 24-Apr-19 19:59:36

Find your local saleroom at thesaleroom.com or easyliveauctions.com. Beautiful "brown" ie solid wooden furniture is in a real slump at the moment. You could pick up some fabulous wardrobes, artwork, mirrors, bedside tables, maybe a small chair for next to nothing and a lot cheaper than eBay if you are patient.

KetchupOnRoastDinner Wed 24-Apr-19 21:17:47

Thanks, all.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in