Talk

Advanced search

Which white?

(20 Posts)
Domesticdunce Fri 19-Apr-19 18:43:32

My house has very dark grey walls and I want them all very light. I want to do everything white but which white should I choose? I need to buy furniture but I don't know what to get because I find the darkness of my environment very depressing. Please help me. I hate my house.

OP’s posts: |
crumpet Fri 19-Apr-19 18:48:05

I’ve just had stairs/landing painted in dulux timeless and am really pleased with it. I have F&B (not white) elsewhere and this doesn’t jar at all with whichever room comes off it.

tenbob Fri 19-Apr-19 18:48:46

How much do you want to spend?

Standard white paint is quite a bit cheaper than whites-with-a-hint-of-something-else

Domesticdunce Fri 19-Apr-19 18:55:21

I don't want standard contractor white. I need an off-white but don't know what to get. I don't have a F&B budget but I could afford dulux level.

I need curtains but I can't imagine having coloured curtains against white walls. I'm so ground down by the darkness I can't imagine.

joggerbottom Fri 19-Apr-19 18:56:59

Do you like warm or cool colours op?

Domesticdunce Fri 19-Apr-19 18:57:20

Thank you. Does the timeless look significantly different from white? My last house was all brilliant white from new and it looked totally clinical but this is so much worse.

Domesticdunce Fri 19-Apr-19 19:05:10

I really don't know what I like. I've never had the opportunity to choose my own colours before so I have never thought about it. I have lived with the grey for so many years.

My parents have offered to buy me brown leather sofas and I have turned them down because the brown won't go with the grey. I suppose I would say warm then really. I would be ok with a tan leather sofa but I can't afford one. I can't get a fabric one ad my kids will wreck it sad Would a leather sofa look weird with white walls?

joggerbottom Fri 19-Apr-19 20:16:41

Have a look on Pinterest - loads of ideas on there. I searched for white living room and hundreds of pics on there to get inspiration.

I'm looking at colours for my hallway at the moment and I would love to go for white, but with small kids they will absolutely wreck the clean, crisp look within a day!

Domesticdunce Sat 20-Apr-19 08:11:58

Thanks. Trying to get registered on pinterest now.

cansu Sat 20-Apr-19 08:18:51

I have painted most of my house just walnut. It goes with anything and is dulux. When you start painting it looks pinkish bit dries to a very light white grey.

dudsville Sat 20-Apr-19 08:24:11

Ah op, you will love it so much. 5 years ago my neighbours went from grey to white. It was shocking as everyone had variations of grey. Initually it looked harsh to me and like a museum but i quickly grew to love it. Since then most people i know have switched over to variations of white and it's very pretty. We've just had the decorators on and painted ours Timeless and i find i didn't need to do any other decorating, everything we had made the transition from grey (granted, it was a pale grey) to white.

sunnyshowers Sat 20-Apr-19 08:27:28

I 've f& b on my wood work. I just changed it a few weeks ago and omg it's fab colour wise. HOWEVER it chips like mad. I prepared well and put a coat of BIN on first (undercoat) and still it's not lasting. my sister used colour trend...hers are perfect and she's got small kids.
I do use colour trend on my walls and it's fab. I get it mixed in the shop to F&B colours though.
the difference it's made is UNREAL.

Domesticdunce Sat 20-Apr-19 08:28:42

I don't currently have furniture other than some brown bookcases which I don't like so I am starting from scratch.

sunnyshowers Sat 20-Apr-19 08:33:07

before and after

sunnyshowers Sat 20-Apr-19 08:36:43

just copped you meant white walls sorry.
we went green but it's v soothing and I love it...not any use to you though sorry

Stripyhoglets Sat 20-Apr-19 21:53:39

Timeless is a creamy white. We had it in several rooms and it went with everything. We only changed as it needed decorating and we wanted a change (to pale grey or colours the kids wanted in their rooms!) But I did like timeless as a versatile neutral colour.

Stripyhoglets Sat 20-Apr-19 22:09:51

Id advise if going over dark grey. Undercoat with plain white cheaper paint. Then 2 coats of final colour. Will save you money as two coats over dark grey not likely to be enough.

OpalTree Sun 21-Apr-19 23:37:54

When i was choosing white paint i googled mumsnet threads on the subject and loads of people said Dulux Timeless, so i went with that and am very happy with it.

7Days Sun 21-Apr-19 23:45:46

A creamy white like Timeless will make such a change, OP, it'll be lovely.
My house has lots of light grey, and it is nice in fairness. But my mum has just painted a dark room in a creamy white and it's so uplifting. The sun comes in for only about an hour a day (it's actually breathtaking with the sunbeams for that hour) lovely and fresh all the time. Beautiful with lamps in the evening.

gc1967 Mon 22-Apr-19 17:54:41

I have been a Painter and Decorator for 33 years, and I have got to say 1 of my most favourite colours to paint with is timeless, some people think its just white its not, put a brushfull of timeless paint next to a white ceiling and you will see the difference.
Professional opinion buy it from a decorating trade centre rather than a diy shop as trade is far superior than diy, even if they both say Dulux on the can they are different, trade will cover in 2 coats where as diy you could have to apply 3 - 4 coats.
Very best of luck with your project.
www.georgecoullpaintinganddecorating.co.uk

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in