Talk

Advanced search

Non yellowy white for north facing kitchen?

(10 Posts)
BabCNesbitt Thu 28-Mar-19 06:46:33

After experimenting with bright colours (“it’ll make the room seem cosy!” - no, it seems like we took the advice of our toddler), we’ve decided just to slap white paint all over our tiny kitchen again. It faces north and gets absolutely no direct sunlight. Cabinets are Ikea’s cheapest white, worktops and floor both a kind of light oak laminate. Only a bog standard pendant in the middle of the room for lighting.

Ideally I’d like a crisp but not cold white that won’t wind up looking lilac, grey, yellow or (god forbid) magnolia. Painter will be colour-matching with Johnstone’s. Am I hunting unicorns? Does such a shade exist?

Thank you! flowers

OP’s posts: |
mintbiscuit Thu 28-Mar-19 06:53:19

Have you tried dulux timeless? Have used this for north east facing bedroom and find it’s just ‘white’, no hints of anything else.

StayingWithAuntySue Thu 28-Mar-19 11:47:36

Farrow and Ball Pointing is a good off white, not too stark but not a colour either

burritofan Thu 28-Mar-19 15:14:39

No, not F&B Pointing! I just painted over that in my north-facing-with-Ikea's-cheapest-white-cabinets kitchen precisely because it was so yellow/dingy/magnolia-esque.

I covered it with bog-standard Dulux kitchen brilliant white and the room is so much brighter and cleaner, not cold at all – but I do have lots of wood & nice tiles to warm it up.

WetWetWithTears Thu 28-Mar-19 17:49:34

I hate timeless in our north facing kitchen, it looks dirty and dingy to me.

goldpendant Sat 30-Mar-19 18:33:19

Farrow and Ball's All White. It's just a touch less brilliant than brilliant white, and Johnstone's do a great colour match. It was the only white I could settle on, and I tried 1000's.

I find Timeless too creamy in artificial light, Pointing too yellow, Wimborne white too vanilla!

BabCNesbitt Sun 31-Mar-19 17:12:31

Ah, sorry for not replying sooner, I posted this when half-asleep the other day then forgot all about it! blush Thanks for the suggestions, and that’s interesting that Timeless can look yellowy - that’s one I saw recommended lots on the basis that it wouldn’t do that. I’ll try a tester of it and of All White and see how they look.

OP’s posts: |
Trumponerous Sun 31-Mar-19 17:19:08

I've got Dulux White Cotton in my kitchen, if it veers to anything it is towards green but seems the exact colour of my white kitchen appliances and white china. My white radiators are a bit stark against it. If you have a white kitchen then I think you have to match that or go deliberately different.

goldpendant Sun 31-Mar-19 20:42:10

That was the other one I was trying to remember @Trumponerous - Dulux Cotton White was very nice too, colder and brighter than All White.

Susiesapio Fri 05-Apr-19 06:04:11

Timeless in our north-east facing bedroom doesn’t look yellow at all. I’m very pleased with it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in