Advanced search

Would an interior decorator do this?

(9 Posts)
Shelvesoutofbooks Mon 10-Dec-18 12:33:21

Thank you all, I have found a few local interior designers so hopefully this will work out.

OP’s posts: |
RagingWhoreBag Mon 10-Dec-18 10:45:12

I think you need an interior designer rather than decorator. They will then coordinate decorators and handymen etc to make things and paint things.

RetiredNotExpired Mon 10-Dec-18 10:37:53

A good Interior Designer will do all the design, measurements and sourcing for you and they should be able to organise the decorating work as well.

RCohle Sat 08-Dec-18 18:03:41

I thought an interior decorator = painter and an interior designer did this sort of stuff?

Shelvesoutofbooks Sat 08-Dec-18 17:35:39

But if I go to JL will they only want to use JL products/furniture? I do have a big budget. I have been saving for this for a very long time.

OP’s posts: |
Chewbecca Sat 08-Dec-18 17:29:40

I'd definitely go to JL, unless you have a really massive budget. They will help with all that stuff too.

Shelvesoutofbooks Sat 08-Dec-18 17:11:57

To give you a clue in how clueless I am (grin), I want blacout curtains too but I don't know anything about measuring or setting them up. I don't know how or who to ask to put up a curtain rod either.

OP’s posts: |
Chewbecca Sat 08-Dec-18 17:10:26

Yes! John Lewis do it too,well they used to.

Shelvesoutofbooks Sat 08-Dec-18 17:07:05

I have just got the keys to my new flat. It's a beautiful two bed flat but I don't know how to decorate it. I have some ideas on what kind of furniture and colour I want but I'm bad with details and I don't know how to put it all together.

I am a complete rookie when it comes to decorating as places I lived in up until now have always come mostly decorated. I want to buy all new furniture and not use any that I've had up until now (mostly because it's old and tatty). Ideally I would like someone to basically order the things I want, assemble it all, add some canvases/vases or whatever it is that people put into their houses when decorating (yes I know I'm that clueless) and basically make it look really nice.

My question is would an interior decorator do this? Would they come and then I could tell them what I want (and some things I'm very specific about) and they order/find everything and get painters in etc and add their own touch to it, or do they always do their own thing? Somehow watching interior decorators on tv it always seems they just do whatever they want when you give them a budget, which isn't what I really want as I want to feel like I've had a part in creating my home, but I just don't have time to do it all myself and if someone could be in charge and create my vision while I'm not at home that would be great..

Sorry if this question seems stupid but I'm recently single and really want my new home to feel like my home, yet I just don't have time or any knowledge to do it myself but I have the money to pay someone else to do itsmile

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in