Talk

Advanced search

Replacing built in oven! Help

(7 Posts)
Octoberfest18 Tue 07-Aug-18 09:58:44

Hello and Help!

Does anyone know the answer to this?

I want to replace the built in - under counter - oven in my kitchen, but am not at all sure about sizing. Do I need to find an oven that has the exact same dimensions as the existing one? Or will a little bit of difference be ok? I don't want to need to do a massive kitchen refit just for the sake of the oven! It's a fairly standard electrolux oven that I'm replacing.

Thanks!

YeTalkShiteHen Tue 07-Aug-18 09:59:59

Most are standard sizes tbh, usually 600 mm. We had to replace ours recently and it was fine.

Piffpaffpoff Tue 07-Aug-18 10:01:35

We just replaced our built in oven and microwave. The microwave was a nightmare but the ovens all seemed to be a standard size. We just had to find the microwave to fit the space (and could find only 1!!) and then got the matching oven. We got them from ao.com.

Oldraver Fri 10-Aug-18 11:42:37

In general ovens are the same size but you need to know what type and how they are fitted

Single ovens are usually built into a cupboard and have a small blinking plate ie a piece of wood that matches your units

Double ovens are slotted I'm on a bracket between units

I've had both and neither have been too much trouble. The recent double one we had was a different shape at the back and didn't allow for the gas pipe. So we the gas disconnected and an electric hob

Most shops will offer fitting, though easy to do yourself, though gas I think now you have to get a qualified fitter

Octoberfest18 Fri 10-Aug-18 15:07:30

Thanks @Oldraver. It is an oven that sits under the counter - under the gas hob. I do not believe the two are connected in any way. The dimensions of the oven appears to be fairly standard -
H 594, W 594, D 567 mm

But looking online for a replacement, I keep finding ovens which have slightly different dimensions. For example, the one I'm most inclined to go for as I can use store vouchers I have has dimensions of:
H 589 x W 594 x D 568 mm

There is a slight difference in the height between the two ovens. Does this 1cm make a difference?

Thanks

Oldraver Sat 11-Aug-18 13:25:18

Yes your right, the hob and oven aren't connected..

The height of the ovens wont make much of a difference but you may need to ajdust whatever it is they are supported on.

Is it a double or single oven ? As I said before single ovens are usually in their own housing and there will be a shelf to support the base, this may have to be moved...but as the difference is so little it may just be easier to leave it. It will mean you will have a bigger gap between the top of the oven and the worksurface.

Can you give a link to the one you are looking at ?

SpoonBlender Sat 11-Aug-18 13:39:21

The one you note is "the same size" as your old one - the hole the oven goes in is smaller than the face of the oven, usually there's an inch or more of overlap all around to cover any difference in sizing. You can see that if you pull yours out a little, or look online at pictures,

If it ends up not quite right vertically then you can adjust it upwards by just popping in card/wood offcut spacers under the new one made from whatever you have lying around.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: