Talk

Advanced search

why do shops think they can sell furniture without customers actually seeing it?

(2 Posts)
lucydogz Thu 02-Aug-18 16:17:31

we need a bookcase and saw a couple we liked on the John Lewis and M and S sites. Went to the store but they weren't on display. I'm not going to travel round the country to find one that does, and I'm not going to spend hundreds of pounds on a piece of furniture I've only seen on a laptop. So, in the end, we ended up in Ikea.
if you're going to sell furniture, isn't it an odd way of doing it?

OP’s posts: |
Popchyk Thu 02-Aug-18 16:24:43

I agree with you.

I want to see stuff in real life before I buy it, particularly if I am spending a bit on it. I want to see the quality for myself. I've had the same problem as you in buying furniture. Most big department stores hardly bother with putting furniture on display these days, it costs them too much when they are up against the online outfits.

I tend to look in antiques places these days (they often do vintage type stuff as well). At least you can see what you are getting.

If I do want something new, I try to call ahead to the shop to ask if it is on display. Mind you, I did that once, was told yes, and it wasn't there when I got there.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in