Talk

Advanced search

Non neutral colours for living room.

(15 Posts)
BirthdayKake Wed 01-Aug-18 07:41:50

Any suggestions? I know I'll probably cave and go with something neutral, but I'd like to try something else if possible!

It's not a very big living room if that makes a difference. What's everyone else got? smile

BlackCloudofGloom Thu 09-Aug-18 21:33:11

We have quite a strong sage green colour with butter-yellow curtains and pale orange sofa. Surprisingly, it looks pretty good!

JT05 Fri 10-Aug-18 07:15:01

We have a cosy sitting room that’s a dark raspberry colour with a teal velvet sofa, cream linen curtains with a multi coloured ‘water paint’ pattern, that picks up the other colours.
It’s the only strong coloured room in the house and makes a surprising statement.

BirthdayKake Fri 10-Aug-18 08:23:46

I love sage green but after have green in other rooms so feel the need for something different! I've been looking at raspberry/purple colours actually but I'm not sure I dare!

slinkysaluki Fri 10-Aug-18 21:36:59

What colour is your furniture and floors, which way does the room face ? Does it get much daylight ?

PippiLongstromp Sat 11-Aug-18 13:26:50

I think reds or purple is something I wouldn't risk unless you really know what you are pairing it up with in terms of furniture and accessory colours... I love blues, they are calming, beautiful yet easy to live with and easy to pair with other colours...

flowercrow Sat 01-Sep-18 19:16:20

I'm thinking of going for forest green and mustard, with white or cream woodwork.
I think you should go for raspberry- you can always paint over it if you hate it, and you may actually love it!

Methe Sat 01-Sep-18 19:26:08

We have one a sort of duck egg colour with mustard curtains and a tan leather sofa and one forest green with navy. Neither room feels dark or oppressive but they both have original picture/plate rails so are white above those. I like colour ❤️

Try some colour! The worst thing that can happen is you have to re paint.

FlowerPotMum Sat 01-Sep-18 19:33:38

I've got purple/plum/pink. Sounds awful but it's so cosy -and a bit chintzy-. We have the dreaded 'feature wall' with a cream background and big flowers in the above colours. The other walls are a dark purply plum.
I love the texture of our cosy ( purple) rug and the ( purple) throws on the dark brown leather sofas.
Curtains are lined silky ( and purple!).
I am quite a bold person and definitely go for the 'more is more' school of thought. It can be re-painted!. I've had nothing but compliments on mine smile. Looks lovely with my tacky fairy lights glowing in the evening.

user1483390742 Sat 01-Sep-18 19:34:51

Two plum walls, 2 cream walls, one plum sofa, one grey sofa, grey carpet.

Burlea Sat 01-Sep-18 19:39:10

I have terracotta wallpaper, brown suite and cherry wood furniture. To me it's warm and cosy in winter but cool and bright in summer.

LemonysSnicket Sat 01-Sep-18 20:01:21

I love this coral colour that Wiggy Kit has in her living room

LemonysSnicket Sat 01-Sep-18 20:02:43

We have white walls and a grey rug but a blue velvet sofa, yellow and orange accents and lots of plants and wood

ifIonlyknew Thu 06-Sep-18 00:35:07

we have sort of goldy/sandy coloured sofa, goldeny beige (so ties in with sofa but lighter and not too samey) carpet and terracotta curtains. I want to change the curtains but not got anywhere with colours yet. the gold and orangey colours are really nice and cosy, I am just a bit bored of the curtains after 10 years of looking at them every day. Personal favourite colours are purple with silver/grey, teal green with gold or sage green which I love and think is very calming (yet don't have in any room in the house!)

ifIonlyknew Thu 06-Sep-18 00:35:32

that is the sage green I think is calming not all those colours together obviously

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: