Talk

Advanced search

Pendant lamps - installation

(9 Posts)
TheClitterati Wed 13-Jun-18 13:25:26

Those those pendant lamps that we all have in our houses - do you wire them/install them in yourselves?

Or is everyone who buys one of these getting an electrician to install it?

I'm assuming it must be a DIY job, but I am a bit confused. Do you DIY?

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/lighting/ceiling-lights/industriell-pendant-lamp-natural-colour-beige-art-70400486/

wowfudge Wed 13-Jun-18 18:27:48

You can if your skills are sufficient. You'd swap the existing ceiling rose for the pendant fitting. You need to make sure there additional support for the pendant if it's heavier than a rose and lightshade and that you wire it in correctly. You might find you've got older wiring so the insulation in the existing wires to the fitting is red and black so you need to match that up correctly in a more modern light fitting. If you have any doubts about doing it, get an electrician to fit it.

TheClitterati Wed 13-Jun-18 22:32:39

I've never done it before so my skills probably aren't sufficient smile

I'll just make sure i get all the lights I want changed at the same time so I only have to get the electrician out the once.

AgedTawnyPort Wed 13-Jun-18 22:37:32

I have just had eight lights and four fire alarms installed (changed) by my electrician. I wouldn’t dream of doing electrics or having DH do electrics.

Still awaiting the bill!

TheClitterati Wed 13-Jun-18 23:03:34

oooh 8 new lights!! must be lovely Tawny

SpongeBobGrannyPants Wed 13-Jun-18 23:08:42

It's pretty easy if you have a modern electrical system. You should turn off the main fuse for your lights or all electrics though, to be safe. The hardest bit is the fiddly working above your head part, screwing the bracket on etc. Matching up the wires is easy.

AgedTawnyPort Thu 14-Jun-18 06:19:57

We moved house recently OP. Every light fitting had a cheap fabric shade that looked like it had come out of a seedy restaurant. I have changed them all! I just used easy fit ones in a few rooms.

I don’t know any electricians who would sign off DIY. If you rent or sell you will need a certificate.

swapsicles Thu 14-Jun-18 06:25:51

I've swapped ceiling roses over without a clue!
I just switched off the electric and swapped over the wires.
With a pendant though you may need to fix a new bracket which involves drilling holes, not so keen on that confused

SpongeBobGrannyPants Thu 14-Jun-18 07:35:21

Re above comment. Not sure about renting but you wouldn't need basic DIY work like this signed off for selling. You tend to just need an electrical cert if you've done much bigger work that's required a building warrant.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: